The Speech Team End of Term Party


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
December 12th 2011
Published: December 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Speech TeamThe Speech TeamThe Speech Team

We decorated the chalkboard for the teacher who will teach in the room tomorrow morning.
I love receiving emails that begin, "Hi dear coach."

That was the salutation in the email that contained these three photos. They were taken at the end of a very fun night at the end of a very fun term.

Tonight was our last English Speech Team meeting. The team captains and I agreed to have it be half class and half party. I thought it might be nice to learn about a fun type of speech: the toast.

I know that my students won't need to toast for any competitions next year, but it's still a valuable skill to learn. We talked about different types of toasts, when to give which kind, and what kinds of things are said in each situation. A common example was a party for one of the captains, ususally a wedding. By the end of the night, him getting married had become a joke and he was married 7 different times. He joked that he really liked getting married but he was pretty tired.

After explaining toasts each student had to write their own one to two minute toast. With all the holidays that are quickly approaching (Xmas, New Years, the Lunar New Year, the end of the term), it gave them lots to work with.

When they were done writing, we opened all the snacks and drinks and started sharing. While we snacked, the toasts began. And when the toasts were finished, we got up, kept snacking, and started talking and being silly.

At the end of the night someone found a student studying in another classroom to take photos of all of us. Since some of the seniors are leaving after this term, I'm glad we could share this special time together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.47s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 86; dbt: 0.3543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb