Hooping with the locals...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
October 8th 2010
Published: October 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Okay, so last week Mark (war boy) and I went down to the court by his places to play some pick up with the locals and after a couple games we got talking to this guy named Terry who spoke english very well. Anyways, we got to talking and told him how there are 3 of us here who would love to play in a league in China. I did it when I was studied in Barcelona and found that is was a great way to make friends and get into the Spanish culture.

Terry, gave me his number and said he would put me in contact with a guy named Frank who also plays at the same court usually, but was away on business this particular day. Anyway, Frank called me up last week and said he would try to arrange a game for us to play and where he could evaluate or skills. If we were good enough he would try and place us in the best league, so it was almost like a tryout.

So frank called me up two days ago and asked if Mark, Aaron and myself could play the following day at 5
P9260405P9260405P9260405

Me, Aaron, Mark, Frank, and Lou Dog
o’clock. Without hesitation we were all down.

After I was finished teaching for the day, I hopped on the bus, transfered two lines on the metro, jumped on a motor taxi and about an hour later I was at the court. I walked in thinking it was going to be some kind of pick up game with the local kids but i was way off. there were 10 Chinese dudes all kitted out in the same uniform. Frank told me that these guys play in the top amateur league in China and have been playing together for a whole season. We had two referees, a score keeper, and 4 12 minute quarters! Shit just got way serious.

We had to pick up two guys who were just hanging around the court cuz we only had 3. Make a long story short, we ended up winning the game by 8 or someting like that but in the last two minutes it got real close. I think our fatigue started to set in. I mean they had a ten man rotation compared to our five. There skill level was not as bad as you think, there were a couple of them that would be considered really good hoopers in any country but i think our size just over powered them in the end. After some serious hydration and sitting down to catch my breath. We all headed to the bar to get some beers with frank and our teammate Louie. Its pretty lucky when your teammate is the only bar owner in the entire complex.

It was a great experience hooping against that team but also getting to chat with frank and louie about basketball, china, the USA, and other things. while having some beers, I learned that Guangzhou is hosting the Asian games because no other city really wanted too and i guess not a lot of tourist from Asia will come to the games because it is not that popular. 50% of Chinese people live below the poverty line. the concept of a bar is not really popular in China but is gaining more acceptance as more Chinese people visit western countries and embrace the idea of it. Most chinese people, if they want to drink will have drinks over dinner, they havent really bought into the idea of going to a place just to drink. Louie (the bar owner) says the idea is catching on and that why he started the bar about 3 months ago.

I think Mark, Aaron and I will be able to get on a team at some point this year or at leat play in some tournaments. Frank has got some teammates that we could pick, and he also said a new season will be starting in a month or two. Ill keep you posted!



Advertisement



9th October 2010

Too much fun
Hi Ronan, How fun it is to read your comments! Somehow I knew that you would maximize the opportunity to make new friends and share good will. You are a man of three continents now. Good luck with the basketball games. i bet those children love their tall American teacher. love, Mary

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb