Buddha Caves at Bingling Si


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Lanzhou
August 7th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have just returned to Lanzhou from a night in Liujiaxia. The main aim was to go and have a look at the Big Buddha at Bingling Si. Liujiaxia is only about 2hrs out of Lanzhou but up at 1600m. To get to Bingling Si involved a 45 min speed boat ride on the Yellow River. The place itself is beautiful and very peaceful. The Big Buddha is not far from the water's edge and then we followed a dry river bed to the Monastry further up the valley. A monk gave us tea and bread. Having been to Tibet - the Chinese Monastries have only pictures of the Chinese Lamas and all the murals are all very recent. Saying that it was a very peaceful place and very beautiful. We are now back in Lanzhou with the aim of watching the Olympics opening ceremony in the main square with all the local people. It is drizzling at the moment, which is a pity, but it should be great to watch. We may not be able to get into the square as there are quite few police around. Lanzhou definitely feels as if it is poised ready for the big event to start.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb