Beijing-ice skating and snowballs at the summer palace, the smallest bar in beijing,and jacket shopping


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Tian'anmen
December 25th 2007
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Night market beijingNight market beijingNight market beijing

I didn't try any no veggy option here
Beijing one of the easiest cities i've visited and i don't speak a word of chinese, so laid back, did get lost but well i didn't use a map and was chatting and not paying attention to my whereabouts as per usual. Even lost no fears .
So so cold so after half a day of freezing i decided to buy a big puffa jacket, scarf and beany, always hated shopping in markets abroad not good at haggling, well guess what again maybe its jsut beijijng or spurred on by the thought of being toasting i really enjoyed the exerpience haggling saying no walking away being shouted hey hey lady your price. felt no pressure.
Tian'anmen square highlight was seeing Mao's body, very wierd, we were the only non chinese and every body was very somber.
The Forbidden City is excellent, so vast and we had a really great guide so got a good understanding of emperors and cocubines, and unics.
The Summer palace was a beautiful day of very cold but all snug in jacket walking and we walked across the middle of the lake as it was frozen (sorry mum) it was great fun and i'm with a bunch of aussies who don't see frozen lakes and stark winters so their reactions were as they would put it "good value". also had a snowball fight with the token snow we found, more snow to come methinks.
More about the group i'm with. theres 11 of us and i'm the only brit, excellent company and aged from 19 to 50ish. The tours very laid back with mostly free time in cities, so can mix and match who you do things with or go off on my own which i do abit even if its just to the internet. Even managed internet easy enough straight a way, even with the stroppiest internet assistant i've ever met, this young lady certainly had some attitude.
Joseph our tour guide is super laid back, another aussie, he also owns the smallest bar in beijing , very cosy which is good with all this cold weather, takes about 18-20 people full capacity.
Loving the food and loving the tea.
(Photos to follow as not quite worked this out in chinese and batteries low. Yes Dennis i should have brought a battery charger!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb