Cambodia - Picturesque Poverty


Advertisement
Asia » Cambodia
October 28th 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

There's not much money here Despite the fact that we've been through some very poor places, we felt the poverty most keenly in Cambodia. Tuk tuk drivers who wanted our business would plead that they needed it to feed their families, small children asked for money for food, disabled and limbless people asked for money, and everywhere there were small children selling things like books, drinks, br... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Local Bookseller, Siem ReapLocal Bookseller, Siem Reap
Local Bookseller, Siem Reap

Everyone has there own sales pitch in Cambodia
View from the Boat, Siem Reap - BatambangView from the Boat, Siem Reap - Batambang
View from the Boat, Siem Reap - Batambang

Cutting through the water past the tops of trees (well it is the wet season).
Our Boat, Siem Reap - BatambangOur Boat, Siem Reap - Batambang
Our Boat, Siem Reap - Batambang

Yup - that sign does say 'express service'. Though it was probably the 'only' service. And notable for the lack of life jackets.
View from our Hotel, BatambangView from our Hotel, Batambang
View from our Hotel, Batambang

This was a side street of the High street of the town...
Overloaded Barrow, Cambodian-Thai BorderOverloaded Barrow, Cambodian-Thai Border
Overloaded Barrow, Cambodian-Thai Border

We only have to pay 50% export tax if there's only two wheels on our vehicle.



31st October 2006

Awesome photos! Thanks so much. Loved the blog. Good job.
1st November 2006

Great Pics, Nice story
Like your story and nice pictures. Been there so can understand how you felt! There are too many tourists, yes, Koreans, and i myself don't like them much! Sorry...! :)
1st November 2006

Great blog
Hey guys...just a passer by who saw your blog on the front page.... was in cambodia myself a month or 2 ago, and agree, the begging does put a little dampener on the whole thing.. and can completely sympathise, picked up dodgy stomach myself in Battambang after....A Khmer curry!! Keep up the good work.
1st November 2006

Im heading to cambodia in a few months and loved your blog and sweet pics.Thanks guys.carry on having fun!!
10th December 2006

Came upon your blog by accident, while desperately researching Khmer curry and where I may possibly find the spices. If anyone knows of a place in Canada, please let me know!! Loved the blog and the pics. I adored Cambodia and, while having packed so much Immodium I was literally a walking pharmacy, I managed not to get sick at all. And I certainly ate it all - trust me. Maybe I have an iron stomach. Maybe it was just dumb luck. Either way, I"m grateful. Thanks for sharing. :)
12th January 2008

Different approach
Hi - This was a very interesting blog. I myself am Cambodian and went back there for the first time since I was 4 a few years ago. I did notice the begging and the selling, but didn't really find it any more or less than when I was in certain places in the Bahamas or Mexico, or basically any place where poverty can be seen outright. Also lots of kids asking for money or trying to sell things to you there too. I think the difference could be because I am Cambodian, and although I still look like a tourist, I did speak the language well, and I was with local relatives who knew where to take me and how to barter. Prices I thought were super cheap (I mean $1 US dollar for a full meal!). If you know how to barter right, souvenirs are also cheap as well. I brought back several beautiful paintings from there, each at $9 US Dollars. I found that exchanging $20 US Dollars gave me plenty of money to pass out to beggers. Most of the kids that beg ask for $100 Reils ... which comes out to about less than $0.03 cents US dollar. $1 US Dollar exchanges to $4,000 Reils!! As for the stomach pains and running to the bathroom ... I don't think it has too much to do with the "khmer curry", but rather that your body is just trying to adjust to new foods, flavors, seasoning, the way things are cooked, etc ... Even though I grew up on Cambodian food, when I was there, the entire 3rd week of my stay was pretty much stomach pains and running to the bathroom, but once my body finally adjusted to the difference, I was perfectly fine and happy and was able to go on as normal for the rest of my trip. Overall, Cambodia was beautiful with a lot of rich history. I would completely suggest visiting, but definitely do your research and pick out a really good touring company if you don't have local contacts there.

Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb