The Temples of Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 30th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.4256, 103.86

Well, today was temple day. We set off bright and early, stopped at the ticket centre to get our identity cards made - a very efficient process - and then off to Ta Prohm, Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, all built on the 12th century. The main building material is sandstone and it is surprising how much detail remains on the carvings.

The temples are all a mix of Buddhist and Hindu influence, and were in various states of repair. There has been various efforts to rebuild over recent years and the trend now is to use existing material wherever possible and, if concrete is used for structural support, not to try and make it look 'original'.

The stories and carvings associated with each on are quite complex, often 'educational' for the people of the time, telling them how to behave and demonstrating the horrors of hell if they did not. Angkor Thom had large displays of everyday life which were fascinating.

Angkor Wat is of course the largest and the steps up to and down from the third level were very steep. Luckily they have put wooden ones over the original narrow worn stone ones but even so...

The final temple of the day was Banteay Srei, built over 100 years earlier of a darker harder sandstone and the carvings were even more impressive although the buildings themselves had not fared well.

This area was the last stronghold of the Khymer Rouge and was heavily land mined by everyone at the time. Our guide's brother was involved in clearing the mines before the area was opened to tourists in the 90s.

Enough talk, enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



30th December 2016

Did anyone say, "I am so over temples"?
31st December 2016

Stunning Gaynor! Thank you for sharing
31st December 2016

Stunning photos Gaynor, lovely to receive your updates, some interesting travels for sure! Happy New Year - is the bubbly chilled for tonight? We hope so!! Cheers for 2017!

Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb