Background: Most Cambodians consider themselves to be Khmers, whose Angkor Empire extended over much of Southeast Asia and reached its zenith between the 10th and 13th centuries. Subsequently, attacks by the Thai and Cham (from present-day Vietnam) weakened the empire ushering in a long period of decline. In 1863, the king of Cambodia placed the country under French protection; it became part of French Indochina in 1887. Following Japanese occupation in World War II, Cambodia became independent within the French Union in 1949 and fully independent in 1953. After a five-year struggle, Communist Khmer Rouge forces captured Phnom Penh in April 1975 and ordered the evacuation of all cities and towns; at least 1.5 million Cambodians died from execution, enforced hardships, or starvation during the Khmer Rouge regime under POL POT. A December 1978 Vietnamese invasion drove the Khmer Rouge into the countryside, led to a 10-year Vietnamese occupation, and touched off almost 13 years of civil war. The 1991 Paris Peace Accords mandated democratic elections and a ceasefire, which was not fully respected by the Khmer Rouge. UN-sponsored elections in 1993 helped restore some semblance of normalcy and the final elements of the Khmer Rouge surrendered in early 1999. Factional fighting in 1997 ended the first coalition government, but a second round of national elections in 1998 led to the formation of another coalition government and renewed political stability. The July 2003 elections were relatively peaceful, but it took one year of negotiations between contending political parties before a coalition government was formed. Nation-wide local elections are scheduled for 2007 and national elections for 2008.
Blogs from Takéo
Latest Blogs from Takéo
- November 29th 2013 First Day First Problem
by Words: 1350 Photos: 0
- November 9th 2013 New Futures Organisation - Takeo, Cambodia
by Words: 4988 Photos: 53
- October 17th 2011 Escape from the City
by Words: 1277 Photos: 89
- September 28th 2011 Teaching English...in Takeo
by Words: 650 Photos: 0
- August 2nd 2011 A village cycle ride
by Words: 870 Photos: 6
- July 31st 2011 Another day off
by Words: 972 Photos: 5
- July 26th 2011 Now I'm teaching computing!
by Words: 324 Photos: 3
- July 24th 2011 Sight-seeing
by Words: 642 Photos: 6
- July 23rd 2011 First week
by Words: 498 Photos: 3
- July 21st 2011 Getting there and first impressions
by Words: 523 Photos: 4
- July 16th 2011 Getting everything ready for trip No. 3
by Words: 70 Photos: 1
- September 3rd 2010 Big trip in little Village no Trouble in the City
by Words: 620 Photos: 31
- August 23rd 2010 Returning home!
by Words: 840 Photos: 0
- August 20th 2010 The next chapter...
by Words: 631 Photos: 0
- July 8th 2010 Women's Rights and Motorbikes..
by Words: 970 Photos: 26
- June 8th 2010 Back in Cambodia!
by Words: 413 Photos: 11
- May 13th 2010 New Futures Orphanage
by Words: 942 Photos: 58
- April 26th 2010 The Children of Wat Opot
by Words: 917 Photos: 12
- February 17th 2010 Countryphile
by Words: 1891 Photos: 19
- January 12th 2010 Teaching in Takeo
by Words: 772 Photos: 44