Bike rides, strange motos and aeroplanes in clubs.....


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
February 23rd 2011
Published: February 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today i decide to go venturing a little further afield by hiring out a bike, as want to visit some different beaches and temples before i leave tomorrow.....

Anyway i work my way up my first hill to the supermarket where im already glad to cool down, and get an ice cream, only to find i forgot the map, DOH!! With the heat and the hill combined i really can't be dealing with going back for it so just hope for the best i don't get lost and look out for somewhere touristy and hope to grab another one.... Well i find somewhere, only they don't list the temples, only the beaches, with this heat im not complaining so after briefly seeing the port (in the distance! again not worthy of the long uphill ride i realised i would have coming back,ha!) i head for Victory beach.......

I'm only a couple of minutes away when i get the usual 'Moto?'. which means do i want a lift on a motor bike, which is really common here and actually does your head in after a while, but i actually can't believe im still being asked that when im riding a flippin bike!!! So i check im going the right way for the beach in case he thinks im going a long way and would rather ditch my bike for a lift, and yes, it's 2 minutes away, this particular road not leading anywhere else, straaange, haha.......

There's a few guest houses surrounding it and im actually quite impressed with it, there's a statue of a cow in the water so out comes the camera!! Then i see the Airport club, which has an aeroplane inside, today it's quiet and i wonder if it gets any busier at night, after seeing how quiet most of Sihanoukville is, shame as it looks perfect location for a club and they've really put effort in, awesome tunes too!!

Well i then have a good swim, which i've missed what with hangovers and being ill the last few days, it's great to feel 'normal' again!!! Then i settle down on a sunbed and finish one of my books.....

I then head off to Independence Square which is a local landmark, there's loads of locals having an aerobics session, so i take a few photos and carry on my way.... I give up on the temples but then see one once i'm down the BOTTOM of the hill, again with the heat and hills and wanting to catch the sunset i decide to give going back a miss, and hope i'll have time to have another go tomorrow! I then get to the beach just in time for sunset :0)]


I passed the other beaches, Indenpendance Beach and Sokha on my way back, the road back was a lot more winding and hilly than the beach walk i'd had to get to them last week.... Still, was an interesting ride and i noticed how much building work is going on all over the place, already there are a lot of top hotels cropping up and i can imagine coming back here in a couple of years time and the place being unrecognizable, and so im really glad i had the chance to come when i did..... Even where i'm staying a lot of building work is going on and it's amazing how quickly they knock things up here, a restaurant that was only just being started last monday is already almost finished! Interestingly enough i noticed that the spirit house was the 1st thing to go up before anything else.....

I then chill for a bit and go and have my last meal at my fave BBQ place.... Im gonna miss the 50 cent beers, ha! While i'm sat there, this guy pulls up on a moto and starts dancing to the Cambodian rave that he's playing for about 5 minutes - very entertaining! Tho im assuming he's just a nutter and stopped to dance to a tune he liked, until someone points out to me that he's selling icecreams from the back (yup they get all sorts on em here, haha!) and i'm guessing he's the Cambodian equivalent to an icecream van, funny as!!!!! Although he seems to be enjoying himself dancing so much im wondering if it's a side line for anything else, ha......

Well all that's left for me to do is pack up and get ready to leave for Phnom Penh tomorrow, im sad to leave, although i've had quite a long time here, after the bike ride today i feel i had more exploring to do and so am gonna get up early and get a few hours biking in tomorrow and hopefully find one of the two temples!!! As well as a final swim before heading to the city again.....





Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb