Cambodia: Sunday, a day of rest.


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
March 25th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Somewhat refreshed, we dressed and ate a small breakfast in Touristville before escaping 'Snookie' by bike. A quick check of the local rubbish fringed beach and lines of palm thatched huts catering to the backpacker crowd and we were off, heading west along the coast road. Out past the Sokha and Indepence Beach Resorts we found access to an as yet public beach near Treasure Island Restaurant. At this rate the coastline around Sihanoukville will soon be privatized, but there are more promising seaside escapes along the gulf of Thailand in the planning although the relatively small amount of shoreline will have people tripping over each other in the rush to buy up and develope this latest potential goldmine.

Walking down to the palm fringed white sand beach, we looked out at the trawlers lined up along the horizon and at the forested islands rising out of the sea. Clear warm water, light green in colour, invited us to strip off down to shirt and undies and spend more than an hour floating on our backs or languidly swimming in circles. Actually, Sophat had been forced into the sea to drown the ants covering his feet, setting his lower legs afilame as only fire ants can! For me, I had seen enough of this weekend retreat for residents of Phnom Penh. I had expected the development to be more advanced but there is a seedy rundown feel to the place that will quickly change in the coming years. It was back to the hotel to write and rest, to give some brief thought to vague plans for the following day. I dislike making firm plans but we were expected back in the capital city and my contractor in Banlung was patiently awaiting more funds to be transferred to his account.

It was to be an early start for Koh Kong.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb