Catching Up With Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 10th 2010
Published: March 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our final week in Southeast Asia took us through Cambodia where we met up with a retired Whitehorse teaching buddy in Phnom Penh. The infamous sites documenting the horrors of the Khmer Rouge, notably the Killing Fields and the S21 Jail were a sobering experience and certainly gave us an in-depth understanding of the scope and scale of Cambodians' suffering under Pol Pot's regime.

Contrasting these sights were the extraordinary temple carvings of Angkor Wat. Feeling slightly templed-out prior to our visit to Siem Reap, the vast Angkor Wat temple complex exceeded all of our expectations and we enjoyed three full days of exploration in and among the ruins. Despite it's haunting past, Cambodia certainly shined with its ancient sites and warm smiles.




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Phnom Penh Tour GuidePhnom Penh Tour Guide
Phnom Penh Tour Guide

Hanging out with Marilyn, a transplanted Yukoner visiting family in Cambodia.
Royal PalaceRoyal Palace
Royal Palace

Ou est la madame?
Killing Fields MemorialKilling Fields Memorial
Killing Fields Memorial

This pagoda housed thousands of skulls and bones that were recovered in a local 'Killing Field'. There were hundreds of Killing Fields throughout the country.
S21 Torture RoomS21 Torture Room
S21 Torture Room

The Khmer Rouge transformed a high school into a torture complex and jail.
Photographic ReminderPhotographic Reminder
Photographic Reminder

Out of the thousands of prisoners who went through S21, only 7 survived.
Bombing TargetsBombing Targets
Bombing Targets

Unbeknownst to many, Cambodia was heavily bombed during the Vietnam War and suffered many casualties.
BAN MINES NOW!BAN MINES NOW!
BAN MINES NOW!

Cambodia was heavily mined during the Vietnam War and also during the wartorn years under the Khmer Rouge. Anti-personnel mines are still found in the Cambodian countryside and despite numerous demining efforts, the number of Cambodian casualties continues to rise.
Survivor of the Killing FieldsSurvivor of the Killing Fields
Survivor of the Killing Fields

This kind man was one of very few elderly people we encountered in Cambodia. We met him by pure chance and we were honoured to have him share his survival story with us.
Checking InChecking In
Checking In

This sign was posted on the wall behind the reception desk at our fine guesthouse. Should we have been concerned?
Same same but differentSame same but different
Same same but different

Can YOU spot five differences in this picture?
"Fame!""Fame!"
"Fame!"

"I'm gonna live forever....."


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb