Lost in Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North
March 5th 2010
Published: March 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After India we detoured quickly through Thailand, specifically Bangkok and Chiang Rai. Chiang Rai was a different speed from India: more like Chiang (sigh) "Ah......!". The "Ah....." factor continued well into Laos as we found it to be one of the most relaxing, peaceful and chilled-out places we've been to. (Correction: we discovered the quiet, peaceful and relaxing side of Laos AFTER our six hour white-knuckle ride to Luang Prabang on one of the Mekong's infamous speedboats. Six hours in a speedboat or two days in a crowded slowboat. Pick your poison.)

Following our accelerated descent down the Mekong, we were tempted to see more than just a blur of Laos village life so back upriver we went. Set amidst a landscape of steep limestone karsts and lush forests we were happy to while away our days along the river. Clearly, more than just the "S" is silent in Laos.

Perhaps inspired by Laos' slogan, Land of a Million Elephants, we eventually set off on a Mahout-ing adventure. For 24 hours, we would live and breathe (and bathe and feed) elephants. As forestry declines and conservation awareness increases, more and more elephants have been abandoned or let go which
Village WalkVillage WalkVillage Walk

Check out the beautiful sarongs worn by most Lao women.
is where various elephant camps and rescue centres have stepped in, providing food, care and shelter to elephants while giving tourists an up close (sometimes too close) and personal experience with these mighty mastodons.

We wrapped up our stay in Laos with meandering market visits, impromptu cooking lessons, cruises around Luang Prabang and local countryside on two-wheelers and getting the low-down on Laos from old friends who now call Luang Prabang home.

Editor's Note: As per requests, we have thrown in more photos than ever. Besides, Laos was definitely worth two pages of photos.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Give 'erGive 'er
Give 'er

...there are many ways down the local rivers.
"Look Here""Look Here"
"Look Here"

There were a lot of people face down in the water attempting to spear fish and pick seaweed.
Drying River AlgaeDrying River Algae
Drying River Algae

Note the tasty tomatoes and sesame seed toppings.
Grab the GunnelsGrab the Gunnels
Grab the Gunnels

The rivers were busy with locals dredging for sand and gravel.
She got the best TLC money could buy.She got the best TLC money could buy.
She got the best TLC money could buy.

The madame takes her mahouting and cleaning seriously.
Village LifeVillage Life
Village Life

Communism and good satellite TV live in harmony.


Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb