Off the rails in Cambodia!!!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampot
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

round cambodia

were now heading down the south of thailand for some r + r on the beach!

the road inthe road inthe road in

slighty dusty it even came through thge air con .. couldnt see anyting but didnt stop us going 60
round cambodia
Luke

rockets

woody with an AK47


not sure what that is it happend when the site broke...

well ..... done soooo much here! its been crazy definatly the best place ive been.. ever!

we arived from vietnam along what i though was the worst road ive ever seen there was so much dust we couldnt see anything!! but the driver kept driving..fast, there were no lanes so at one point there were 2 cars a bus and a jcb coming towards us out of the dust!! driving here is definatly one of the most exciting things you can do!

arriving at Phnom Pen and moving down to lakeside was easy and the guest house (number 9) was amazing and cheap 50 cents a beer (25p) draft aswell!!!


cambodia has a troubled past after server bombing during the vietnam war by the americans (because the vietcong were moving through there country) the khmer rouge gained complete control and pol pot started his plan to change cambodia into agricultral state. which basiclly ment the killing or internment of all teachers, artists, city workers and anyone who refused to move back out to the country and anyone that was suspected of being a
facesfacesfaces

there were several floors with several large rooms with walls full of pasport sized photos. everyone with a photo was killed.
traitor.. (interlectuals included people with glasses or whos hands did not look like they had been working the fields).

anyone of the above was taking to special interigtion centers the one in phnom pen was called S21 it was located in an old school.. over the years thousands and thousands past through only 7 survied to tell its story after torture at the center they were moved on mass to the killing fileds where they were disposed off.

its hard to connect such a shocking history to the country today, the people are the friendliest ive met so far and the city is and the country is developing fast with exception of some of the roads!

after many days of cheap drinks and busy nights on the town we went go carting and to the gun range! where you can fire anything from handguns to bazokas.. no one had enough money for the 200 dolla rockets or the extra 500 to take out a cow! we did all fire an AK47 which was awesome but were to pc to pay an extra 15 bucks and try and hit a live chicken with it.

we left the
sad.sad.sad.

it was a very sad place
city reluctently but found somewhere even better in the small town of Campot.. a place called Bhodi villas!! run buy an ozzie named hue its deffinatly been the best guest house we stayed in!! free shots on arriving amazing food and lots of fun! near buy is the ghost town of Bokor on top of a mountain it used to be a playground for the rich french but was long ago deserted ! we rented mopeds to go up.. was probally a mistake as it is pretty much a motorcross or 4 x 4 course! our 125ccs really strugled getting over and off the 1 foot boulders and deep puddles it was the most dangerous thing i think ive done goin 30 up a mountain track in the rain over boulders, gullies loose gravel and sand.. really it was like driving over brighton beach but at a 40 degree angle! it was so rad tho... and i diddnt fall off!! we made it to the top there was some cool old buildings including a huge casino! stayed the night and then braved the track again all the way back down white knuckled!

the next night we got hue to
the cellsthe cellsthe cells

while they waited interogation.. 5 - 10 in each
buy us some fireworks, well you get quite alot for 50 dollars here... around 70 rockets! big rockets
we started on the veranda which over looks the river, we had a launching tube which worked pretty well.. until a rocket got stuck and blew the thick plastic apart right on us and filled the room with smoke... we were told its better off the railway bridge so we headed out with the rest of the rockets..


after setting off another 10 or so which were extremley loud at 11 at night and for some reason kept goin down under the bridge into the river floating to the surface and blowing up right under us showering us with stuff... we saw lights comming down the track and heard cambodian voices.. the bar man came quickly and said somthing then left.. we didnt hear him so fired another rocket and started heading back. when we got to the tracks there were lots of lights and shouting so doing the sensible thing.. we dumped the remaing foreworks and jumped down a hedge into the next farm field and hid!! we could see the cops walking along the tracks above us shinning
the monument the monument the monument

3 stories high filled with skulls
there torches and talking.. after a nerve racking 30 mins they seemed to give up so we went across the field and uponto the road and back to the guest house... the cops had been there befor and we were told they had all been carrying ak47s too.. but we didnt see them again so it all kinda worked out!


we then went down to Senookvile on the coast and partyed there for a bit nothing great but nice to go swimming.. we had dinner at the snake house too.. you have a glass table underwhich lives a big snake! and in the fish pond on your right is a large crocodile! all the walls are coverd with snakes too, pretty cool

then all the way up to siam reap to see the great temples of Angkor Wat!! which were amazing and in amazing condition for being built over a thousand years ago!! they were beautifull and one of the best temples was the one they used in the tomb raider movie there were huge and i mean really big trees growing on top arounnd and all over the buildings!! lots of good fotos and a cool
.........

..
day!

i wish so much i could have stayed longer if it asnt for the south of thailand and meeting jordan in oz i could have stayed for a long time! i even got offerd a job in a bar!

but duty calls and we left siam reap for bangkok along probally the worst road in the world and to make it worse our back seats of the bus were so squashed by the bags and the constant bumping they came of the floor untill they were pushed against the seats in front which left little room for us.. but it was ok and we made it to the border!!

i ave to say that we heard a lot of stuff befor we came here about it being dangerous.. while i was there and the people i spoke to who travelled and lived there i never heard of any trouble.. they were the nicest people and the most fun country! the only danger here is the danger you make for yourself!


goto cambodia and have an awesome time !!! it rocks!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb