The Temples of Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 23rd 2011
Published: January 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Temples of Angkor 1Temples of Angkor 1Temples of Angkor 1

The gate to Angkor Thom, a city that used to have up to 10,000 inhabitants.
We just spent five days in the city of Siem Reap, which is close to the Temples of Angkor. So it is a good base for visiting the temples. They were built between the 9th and the 14th century and are most amazing. Most of them are still in very good condition, considering the fact that they have been there for more than 1,000 years. Some of them have been re-conquered by nature, with bushes and trees growing between the walls. Angkor Wat is probably the most well-known of the temples, but it is only one, and there are many more. They are up to 60 kilometres apart. Most of them, however, lie within a circle of a couple of kilometres so that you can visit several of them in one day.

Mizzi and I hired a tuk-tuk on our first day (which costs 15 dollars) and did the "inner circuit", the temples that are closest together. Amongst them is Angkor Wat, but also Angkor Thom, which used to be a city with up to 10,000 inhabitants with a big temple (Bayon) in its centre. There is the Baphuon, a big pyramid, and the Elephant Terrace, which was used for
Temples of Angkor 2Temples of Angkor 2Temples of Angkor 2

The Bayon, the temple in the centre of the city of Angkor Thom. It is Buddhist.
processions. My favourite one is Ta Prohm because it has something mysterious (all of the temples do, but this one does in particular), overgrown by trees and bushes. Apart from these, we visited a number of other temples (hard to remember their names) and climbed so many steep stairs that we were really exhausted in the end of the day.

The second day, we booked a tour to a floating village. During the rainy season, the water level is up to eight metres above the level during the dry season. So houses are built on stilts so the water does not go in when it is high. The bus took us to such a village, and there we boarded a boat that took us to the Tonle Sap where we visited the floating village of Kompong Kleang. People there built their houses on boats so that they can float with the water. After having a look around, the boat took us back to the village on stilts, where we had lunch, and then back to Siem Reap.

The following three days were dedicated to the Temples of Angkor again. On Friday, we hired a tuk-tuk and an English-speaking
Temples of Angkor 3Temples of Angkor 3Temples of Angkor 3

Carving of an Apsara, a divine dancer, in the Bayon.
guide who took us around the "outer circuit" and explained a lot about the temples to us. In the evening, we rode up to the temple of Phnom Bakheng on an elephant and watched the sunset from the top of the hill. The day after, we shared a tuk-tuk to two other temples with two women from the U.S., Geena and Phillis. The first temple we visited was Banteay Srei, about 1.5 hours north of Siem Reap. It has beautiful carvings. Afterwards, we went to Kbal Spean. This is not a temple, but rather some carvings in a riverbed. In order to get there, you have to climb up some rocks (about 1.5 km), a beautiful walk.

Today, we did the most remote of the temples, Beng Mealea, about 60 km from Siem Reap. By tuk-tuk, the journey takes about 2 hours one way. The temple could very well serve as a scenery for an Indiana Jones movie! On our way back, we stopped at the Roluos Group, some temples that are slightly older and less well conserved, but still worth visiting.

Altogether, these temples are some of the most amazing monuments I've ever seen. And just imagine
Temples of Angkor 4Temples of Angkor 4Temples of Angkor 4

One more view of the Bayon.
how old they are, and they are still there and most beautiful.

Now, we're back at our hostel. We will have dinner later on and then catch the night bus to Pnom Penh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Temples of Angkor 5Temples of Angkor 5
Temples of Angkor 5

The Baphuon, a pyramid shaped temple that has a reclining Buddha statue on its back.
Temples of Angkor 6Temples of Angkor 6
Temples of Angkor 6

The Leper King's Terrace.
Temples of Angkor 7Temples of Angkor 7
Temples of Angkor 7

One more view of the Leper King's Terrace.
Temples of Angkor 8Temples of Angkor 8
Temples of Angkor 8

Elephant statues at the Elephant Terrace.
Temples of Angkor 9Temples of Angkor 9
Temples of Angkor 9

Mizzi climbing some really steep steps.
Temples of Angkor 10Temples of Angkor 10
Temples of Angkor 10

Ta Prohm, where there are many trees and bushes growing on top of the buildings or between the walls.
Temples of Angkor 11Temples of Angkor 11
Temples of Angkor 11

One more view of Ta Prohm.
Temples of Angkor 12Temples of Angkor 12
Temples of Angkor 12

Angkor Wat, the most well-known of the temples of Angkor.
Temples of Angkor 13Temples of Angkor 13
Temples of Angkor 13

Angkor Wat, view from the back side.
Temples of Angkor 14Temples of Angkor 14
Temples of Angkor 14

Riding up to a temple on an elephant.
Temples of Angkor 15Temples of Angkor 15
Temples of Angkor 15

Sunset on Phnom Bakheng, view towards Siem Reap.
Floating VillageFloating Village
Floating Village

Day trip to Kompong Kleang, the floating village. Views from the boat.
Floating Village againFloating Village again
Floating Village again

Houses on the river.
Temples of Angkor 16Temples of Angkor 16
Temples of Angkor 16

The elephants that take tourists up to Phnom Bakheng.


24th January 2011

Cool! Sieht so aus als hättet ihr ne Menge spaß! Aber mach auch mal n Foto von dir!! :-p

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb