Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 25th 2011
Published: January 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Siem Reap - Phnom Penh


The Royal PalaceThe Royal PalaceThe Royal Palace

Inside, there is a throne room that is still used for coronations. Behind this room, there is one room for the king and one for the queen. They are not allowed to have sex one week prior to the coronation.
Traveling in Cambodia definitely takes time... On Sunday night, we caught the night bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh. It took them forever to get everyone seated in the bus (half an hour, although everybody had their seat number printed on the thicket), so the doors of the bus were open a long time, therefore the bus was full of mosquitos when we finally left. Phnom Penh is just 300 km from Siem Reap, but the journey takes more than six hours because the buses stop frequently. Some time during the night, Mizzi woke up and saw that there were many bus drivers sitting outside the buses, having something to eat and chatting. This stopover took 45 minutes!

But finally, around seven in the morning, we reached Phnom Penh. We were picked up by a tuk-tuk and had breakfast and a shower at our hostel. Then our tuk-tuk driver took us to the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek and to the Tuol Sleng Museum of Genocide. In the Tuol Sleng Museum, prisoners were tortured, and then taken to the Killing fields for their execution during the cruel regime of the Khmer Rouge and their leader Pol Pot from 1975
The Silver PagodaThe Silver PagodaThe Silver Pagoda

It is called Silver Pagoda because there are about 5,000 tiles that cover the floor. However, you can only see a few of them because most of the floor is covered by a carpet.
to 1979. We were totally shocked about how incredibly cruel human beings can be and were close to tears when we left the sites.

So in the afternoon, we visited the more pleasant sites: the Royal Palace and the Silver Pagoda. Both are surrounded by a nice park. In the evening, we walked along the banks of the Tonle Sap River and finally had dinner in a restaurant on the fifth floor of a building, from where we had a beautiful view of the promenade along the Tonle Sap River.

Today, we took it slowly. We visited the National Museum, in which there are many exhibition pieces from the pre-Angkorian and Angkorian period. After a stroll through the Central Market, we walked back to the riverside and had lunch there. After lunch, we looked for Wat Ounalom, the headquarters of Cambodian Buddhism. There is a Buddha statue, and in a stupa behind the main building, there is a hair of Buddha himself (at least people believe this). We entered the little temple and were blessed by a man sitting there after making a donation.

We just returned from an evening boat cruise on the rivers Tonle Sap
Choeung Ek Killing FieldsChoeung Ek Killing FieldsChoeung Ek Killing Fields

Almost 9,000 people were killed here during the regime of Pol Pot. Their bones are in the stupa you can see on the picture.
and Mekong. It was supposed to be a sunset boat cruise, but we did not see the sunset because of a clouded sky. However, it was nice to have the view of the city from the water and to see the other bank of the river Mekong, where there is a floating village.

Tomorrow morning, we will catch a bus to Sihanoukville, a town by the sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Tuol Sleng Museum of GenocideTuol Sleng Museum of Genocide
Tuol Sleng Museum of Genocide

Critics of the Khmer Rouge Regime were tortured here. Young and old people, Cambodians and foreigners...
Sisowath Quay at nightSisowath Quay at night
Sisowath Quay at night

Tonle Sap River, view from the rooftop restaurant where we had dinner. There are a few groups of people doing some kind of aerobics on the pavement.
The National MuseumThe National Museum
The National Museum

... with lots of beautiful exhibits from different times.
The Central MarketThe Central Market
The Central Market

... in a building that has a huge dome in its centre. Many different goods are sold here: clothes, food, jewelry...
Road in Phnom PenhRoad in Phnom Penh
Road in Phnom Penh

With some shiny writing above it wishing everyone a Happy New Year.
Houses in Phnom PenhHouses in Phnom Penh
Houses in Phnom Penh

Just an impression of what it looks like here when you walk along the streets.
Phnom Penh road signPhnom Penh road sign
Phnom Penh road sign

Tuk-tuks are not allowed on this road!
ElectricityElectricity
Electricity

I would call this a chaos of cables...
Wat Ounalom 1Wat Ounalom 1
Wat Ounalom 1

The headquarters of Cambodian Buddhism. Apparently, a hair of the Buddha is kept here.
Wat Ounalom 2Wat Ounalom 2
Wat Ounalom 2

The Buddha statue inside, surrounded by flashing lights. This is not what I would call peaceful, but my concept is probably different from the Cambodian one. Picture posted on special request by Rebi.
WaterfrontWaterfront
Waterfront

Sisowath Quay, picture taken from a boat on the Tonle Sap River.
Floating villageFloating village
Floating village

... on the other side of the Tonle Sap River.


25th January 2011
Wat Ounalom 2

YEAH!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb