Angkor Temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
June 10th 2010
Published: June 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We've spent the last two days exploring the Angkor Temples and all i have to say is wow! They are incredible. Words cannot describe them and pictures (especially mine) can't even come close. We started yesterday with seeing Angkor Wat and although it was huge and well restored it actually ended up being one of my least favorite of all the ones we saw. It was too well kept compared to some of the other ones that are falling apart or being taken over by the jungle. After Angkor Wat we went to several sites within the city of Angkor Thom the most memorable (and my favorite of all) was Bayon. Bayon has over 200 stone carved faces looking out in different directions from the temple. It was also a little more delapidated giving it a little more on teh interest factor. Our final temple of yesterday was Ta Promh which is where the movie Tomb Raider was filmed. There was a lot of hype about this one looking like it came straight out of Indianna Jones with the jungle taking over and although there were a few spots where you could get some great pictures overall it was a bit of a dissapointment.
Today we started with Banteay Srei, a smaller temple with extremely detailed carvings. It was interesting to see how the temples were originally Hindu but were later changed into Buddhist. We visited 4 more temples in the afternoon and these were great. Each of them was quite delapidated or being taken over by the jungle or in one case, they're digging up more as we speak. Plus there were far fewer tourists around so it was a lot more fun to pretend you were discovering them (nerd, i know).
TOmorrow I get to sleep in and I can't wait! Then an easy day of shopping and bartering (I'm getting worse as I go cuz I've gotten lazy) before flying to Malaysia on Saturday.
ps. We have discovered the most amazing ice cream sundae place on earth here and have been going nuts (pun) on it ever since.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb