Does anyone even read the titles?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone, a lot has happened since the last entry. After the crazyness that was Nha Trang, the boys decided to head to the much more laid back resort town of Mui Ne. There isn't much to do there except sit on the beach, but there is however one activity that the boys had to try-sand dune crazy carpeting. Just outside the town there are massive red sand dunes and for a couple thousand dong you can rent sleds and go down them. Not quite the same as snow, but its was an experience. Dave and Jord also tried their luck again with motorbikes and drove up and down the coast, very opening credits to the OC-ish. After a few days relaxing they made the trip to Siagon and ran into some old friends from a few stops back and had a few nights out on the town. Also, one of Jords friends from uni is teaching english there, so they met up and got some inside advice on where to go. Both the boys agreed it was nice to be surrounded by Canadian accents again, although the Irish girls we were with said it sounded like the cast of Jackass talking. The boys checked out some of the historical sights in the city and were thrilled to see KFC had made its way to the 'communist" country.

After a few days in the city, the boys were again on the road, this time to the capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh. They had a heard a few stories that it was a bit of a rough town, but they were impressed with how nice it actually was. Good restaurants, nice bars and all the usual tourist town anemities. Dave and Jord also continued their cultural tourism by checking out the national museum and the royal grounds/silver pagoda. The following day the boys completed another lifelong goal by taking a trip to the shooting range and firing AK-47's and Uzi's. They stopped at the machine gun, but it was still a good experience. The next stop on the tour was the killing fields of the Khymer Rouge, and it definately brought the mood down a bit. It was essentially just a field full of mass graves and a large temple in the middle with four huge windows full of skulls. Along the path you could see old bones sticking up and it was definately more than a little creepy.

Right now they boys are in Siem Reap, which is the city closest to the temple Angkor Wat. It is a nice small city with great tourist bars and restaraunts. Last night Dave and Jordan decided to go all out and had a Cambodian BBQ, complete with frog legs and snake. Both were surprisingly good. Today they went to the temple and were amazed with the size and amount of detail that went into that place. Something that everyone should really see in their life. There isn't much else to do in the town so tomorrow the boys have a flight booked to the south of Thailand for a month of sitting on the beach. Life's Tough. PEACE.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb