Angkor what???!!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
May 24th 2007
Published: May 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Siem Reap in Cambodia on Monday 22nd. I must say I was expecting a much rougher place. The plane was full with mainly Japanese tourists with the high tech cameras. Talked to some of them and it seemed that most of them had traveled for 10 or hours from Tokyo just to see Angkor and take some pictures and go back.

The airport was faily newly built, and it looked like a huge exotic hut, nice and clean. However, as soon as you leave the airport, unfortunately you will see some of the realities of life in Cambodia. Luckily for them I believe things were starting to get better there thanks to tourists for angkor wat.

Tuesday morning got myself a tuk-tuk, and headed towards the temples. It is an amazing historical site with all these strange looking figures all carved into the stones for about 1000 years ago.

My favorite temples were Bayon with numerous towers sculpted with faces of one the kings (Jayavarman) and Baphoun wat ( I think) were the trees had grown over these building making magnificent views.

Only after the 2nd day I was a bit "templed out" so decided to go to see a different side of Cambodia. I went to the floating village on Tonle Sab lake, and visited some of the children schools that were run by volunteer monks and other ordinary people. Recommend to everyone to go to see for themselves and try to donate as much as possible for the good cause.

Extremly nice people...



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb