The children of Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 20th 2006
Published: December 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

At the hospitalAt the hospitalAt the hospital

This little girl is dying of AIDS.
George's friend Marie lives in Siem Reap and works for Angkor Hospital for Children (AHC). She does the marketing and fund raisers for the hospital. She took us on a tour through the Angkor Hospital for Children and then to a local orphanage. This was a much different day then being a tourist at the temples.

Since 1999, the Angkor Hospital for Children has been serving the medical needs of the children of Siem Reap Province and providing training to Cambodian doctors and nurses. The hospital has outpatient and inpatient services, basic surgery, 24-hour emergency service, dental care, and pediatric medical training.

Under the ruling of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, health facilities were destroyed and many of Cambodia's medical professionals were killed among the estimated two million murdered, others escaped to the West, never to return. Today, after decades of conflict, Cambodia is struggling to rebuild the infrastructure of their health system as well as their work force.

When we arrived at the hospital, there were many people waiting in the courtyard for their children's vitals to be checked. Marie said it wasn't very busy that day, it seemed busy to me. Children will either be emitted into the hospital or be given medicine. This is a free hospital, so the families don't have to pay anything.

I enter the patient care room where every bed was filled and nurses and doctors on hand. There was a big dry erase board in the nurse's station that told what each child was suffering from. The common illnesses seen at the facility include dengue fever, dysentery, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, malaria, and intestinal parasites. Malnutrition and dehydration is clinically evident in 66 percent of children admitted to the hospital, and 10 percent of admissions are due primarily to severe malnutrition. I can't put into words, how it feels to see a little girl dying of AIDS.

The staff is very loving to all the patients. The facility provides intensive training to Cambodian doctors, nurses, dentists, and other hospital personnel and creates enthusiastic local staff.

Just outside of this room an open-air courtyard, we were greeted by the site of mothers, grandmothers, and other relatives of sick making lunch. Patients’ relatives are responsible for preparing meals for family members, and are provided with a variety of high-protein, nutrient-rich foods by the hospital.

I also visited the emergency room
Marie and the StaffMarie and the StaffMarie and the Staff

Angkor Hospital for Children (AHC)
beds intensive care beds but did not feel comfortable taking any pictures here. I also saw a framed picture of the staff with Bill Clinton in one of the staff rooms; it was nice to see that one of the Presidents have also visited this hospital.

As George and I were leaving the hospital a women grabbed onto George and tried to show her that there was something wrong with her baby's tongue. We tried to tell her that we were not doctors, but she didn't understand. All we could do is walk away. I did donate a small amount to this hospital before I left; I wish I could have done more, more with my time. I was impressed by the staff and all the volunteers there, the hospital maybe small but it was run effectively.

We left the hospital and began walking to the orphanage. As we walked along the river, I couldn't help but notice that there is trash everywhere. I would even see dirty diapers just baking in the sun. This I do not understand, but I can't understand extreme poverty either. It is hard to take seeing people live in these types of conditions.

At the orphanage we were guided around by one of the staff members, and couple of curious kids. All the children at one point came up to us and greeted us very kindly. We toured the nursery, library (small but had many children’s books), the classroom with musical area, and the computer room. The children here learn English and Microsoft Office. All the children seemed to be well taken care of. When they reach a certain age the orphanage helps them find a job, some have become part of the staff at Angkor Hospital for Children.

A day like today helps me appreciate what a wonderful family I have and who I miss.










Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

In the nurseryIn the nursery
In the nursery

The little one has HIV.
little girl at the orphangelittle girl at the orphange
little girl at the orphange

one of our courious guides
Children selling postcards while we eat lunch.Children selling postcards while we eat lunch.
Children selling postcards while we eat lunch.

This picture shows the intensity of how the children try to sell you things. Poverty is desperation and it is very hard to watch. You can't buy from them all but you can't turn away either.


27th December 2006

Your thoughts on poverty
Maggie, your thoughts on your experiences at the hospital and orphanage were very honest and enlightening. I think it's incredibly hard to fathom that people live in such squalor unless you witness it firsthand. It's especially hard for people like us who live in the wealthiest and most wasteful country in the world, yet so easy to take for granted. I admire your adventuresome and courageous spirit to be, for many of us, a vital window to other very unfamiliar parts of the world. I'm loving your blog entries: a precious record of your inner and outer travels! Big Hug and Happy Holidays!
29th December 2006

the children
Thanks for sharing this special day with us, Maggie. I can't imagine how it felt to walk through the hospital and orphanage. I wish there were some way to help all those little children. Stay safe!!! We all miss you, Honey, but are very proud of what you are doing! I love you, Maggie! Aunt Gail

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb