Angkor Wat Photos


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
April 30th 2006
Published: April 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Angkor at SunrisAngkor at SunrisAngkor at Sunris

This was the first stunning sight that we beheld of Angkor Wat (the actual Angkor Wat, not any of the others). Liz, Dill and Andy walking over causeway.
Hello all,

Now I know that I sent you all a blog only a few days ago, but since then I have been to Angkor Wat and have several photos you may or may not wish to see. Further more, I've been in a car crash....

At this point you should probably know that the said crash was in fact a collision between an electric bike (or more accuratly American Andy's electric bike) and a young ladies moto. Regretfully she clipped the back of the bike, where I was and wiped out. However, both myself and Andy were unhurt and apart from a slight graze and the expected shock she was as well. For those who may care a little more for Dylan or Liz than for me, no they where not involved and were not injured or tramutised in any way.

Now, having dealt with excitment I'll tell you about the Angkor and leave you to photos. For those of you who are unaware Angkor Wat is in the same league as the Taj Mahal and the pyramids. It is a serious of temple complexes (of which the actual Angkor Wat is just one) and is not only the pride of Cambodia but also that of the whole of the region. Finally it is really cool. The fact that the majority is so old (500-1000 years) and in such good nick is really amazing and its size (bigger than central London) linked with the detail and craftmanship that covers every remaining surface is awe inspiring.

Finally, on the first day in Siem Reap (the town outside the temple area and in which we are based) American Andy, whom you may remember from Laos if I mentioned him, turned up and since has been hanging with us. I like Andy and he like me.

Anyhoo enjoy the pics

Macca



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Dill on his Electric BikeDill on his Electric Bike
Dill on his Electric Bike

The bikes were really cool, being the same as a push bike but no pedaling - apart from earlier today when I had to pedal with no power all the way home!
Angkor across the waterAngkor across the water
Angkor across the water

Same view as other photos though by light, obviously
A wat through the doorA wat through the door
A wat through the door

The temple of Ankor what comprises an outer wall, courtyard and inner building complex. This is the view from the outer wall of the inner court and main building complex.
DetailDetail
Detail

This leval of carving on the wall goes on for at least eight times what you can see in the photo. And this is just on one of many many temples!
The inner cout of AngkorThe inner cout of Angkor
The inner cout of Angkor

Spot both Liz and Andy
Top of Angkor WatTop of Angkor Wat
Top of Angkor Wat

Each temple had a really high pyramid at its centre. Here are the steps up to Angkor Wat's highest point.
Gold Dust!Gold Dust!
Gold Dust!

The picture of the Buhdist Monk is worth it weight in gold to yer average backpacker like me!
Monkeys!Monkeys!
Monkeys!

We stopped and played for quite a bit. They were cool apart from when the chased American Andy
Tree Temple (for lack of its actual name)Tree Temple (for lack of its actual name)
Tree Temple (for lack of its actual name)

This temple, as Dill's guide book states, is being eaten by trees. Really cool. Reminded one of the Lord of the Rings rather alot.


30th April 2006

Am i bothered¿?
Yeah Yeah, all doing the whole cultural thing...seeijng lots of sights ect... the only thing we really want to know is whether your gettin some ass out there??
3rd May 2006

You got a new camera?
Or did you steal it off an unsuspecting cambodian granny? we have jsut seen the 3 gorges dam, which is arguably anotehr wonder of teh world, but in a much less attractive way! keep the updates coming...
3rd May 2006

Your photos are just amazing .I'm soorry I'm only coming over for a week - wouild have loved to see all this.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb