Bikes, Battles and bad food


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
January 3rd 2009
Published: January 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello again! Ready for another exciting installment in the Zoe and Kate adventure?

So we can't really remember where our last entry left off, but we dont THINK we told you about the bikes. So.. we hired bikes on Thursday and swiftly and unexpectedly got lost. This turned out to be the best thing we could have done as it meant we found all sorts of exciting things we hadn't planned on. The best of which was a secluded little temple discovered only by us (we'd like to believe).

Yesterday, after waking up at numerous incorrect times (bloody phone alarms!) we headed off to see the Angkor Wat temple at 5am. ish. We got there in time for the sun to come up, and then began to explore the amazing structure. (getting lost a few times) We were amazed by how unregulated the temple was, which meant we could clamber all around on super steep, super narrow stairs. The first temple we visited was unbelievably large, while the second had an eery atmosphere but was beautiful with all its carved faces. The crumbling ruins were just like a scene out of indiana jones. Overall we went to quite a few different sites, our favourites already mentioned along with an incredibly steep temple, that we're convinced was designed as an ancient precursor to rock climbing. 😊 Now besties with our motorbike driver, we went around exploring the town and piking on all the suggsted attractions.

When we got back, we had the world's longest nap and eventually headed out for dinner. We never had dinner as Kate felt sick and we instead had an early night. (God we're party animals!)

Today we got ripped off. Well, that was after we discovered our guest house only provides running water between certain times. Wanting to wash our clothes and shower, we harassed the owners multiple times before we had to leave for our tour of Tonle Sap lake, at which point in time it still wasn't working. Whih is where the ripping off started (but unfortunately didnt finish). So excited, we set off for Asia's biggest lake in a suspension-less car. The lack of seatbelts were a concern as we bounced along but we did get to the lake intact (everyone breathe a sigh of relief). The boat trip turned out to be somewhat below our expectations, considering we couldn't understand a word the driver said and the trip lasted an hour less then we'd been promised. However, the floating village was none-the-less amazing and it was sobering to see the poverty in which the people lived. The little dilapidatd shacks and small house boats were incredible to behold.
After getting bac we headed out to a beautiful cafe where Zoe unknowingly ordered the worlds most healthy and disgusting spring rolls and we sat in cool, relaxed bliss for a while.

Next time we'll try and put some photos up so keep reading and keep commenting.

Kate and Zoe xox

Advertisement



6th January 2009

helloooo
hello my lovelies, wow cant believe ure actually out there doing all this! so fun and exciting!! happy belated new years!! hope it was awesome :) and that secluded temple sounds super cool, cant wait to see the pics! take caare xoxo Shaleeni
8th January 2009

Halli Hallo
ich bins nochmal...das Foto mit Zoe als Kaptaen ist herrlich - had a great laugh - aber Kate, ich dachte, du kannst kein Rad fahren I am deeply impressed and jealous alles GuUte Frausi
9th January 2009

haha, i just laughed at that photo of you on a bike kate - you look way too big for the bike haha. joy x

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb