Amazing day


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
February 14th 2008
Published: February 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok Peeps,

Hope you enjoyed viewing our photos yesterday.

The last few days in Thailand were very relaxing and we were sad to leave behind the beautiful beach we personally felt was our jackpot on Ko Phangnan. The day before yesterday we spent one night on the island of Koh Samui. It was pretty non eventful and we went there in order to take our flight up Bangkok early yesterday morning and then fly out to Siem Reap, Cambodia.

Today we hired a guide from our Villa who took us to the most amazing village north of Siem Reap. Right in the country we got to see this village which consisted of homes on stilts. The rainy season here lasts for many months and when the river floods, it REALLY floods, and so that is why all of the houses are are about 10 metres above ground level.

The houses (as you will see from the photos) are extremely basic with walls made of woven coconut grass, and bamboo matting floors and the frame made from bamboo also as it's strong and doesn't erode quickly. The people rarely see tourists and so were a little reserved. It was so nice to go somewhere today where we didn't see any other tourists for 8 hours.

A river boat took us out to the Tonle Sap which is a huge fresh water lake in the middle of Cambodia. We saw floating villages and many many fisherman who would stop to buy ice coffe served in a bag with condensed milk which we of course call a Frappacino. It was pretty cool to think these purchases were made from a long boat shop that floats around the village.

For lunch we stopped at one of the villagers houses for Snake fish caught and purchased just hours before, delicious fried rice and fruit kebabs. Tom was a little reluctant to consume any of this as the fish looked excatly the same as a snake (hence the name) and also the swarm of flies lingering on the table surface.
But when in Rome.........................

We finished the day listening to the dolcet tones of a 90 year Monk with no teeth chanting us a blessing
. What a fantastic day.


Enjoy the photos





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

house house
house

The river rises to just below the floor of the house in the rainy season


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb