would you like lady friend, marijuana, or angkor tour???


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The majority of tourists come to Cambodia for the sole reason of seeing Angkor Wat and its surrounding temples. Siem Reap is the nearest city to the temples and has an international airport that shuttles tourists in and out. It is no doubt a tourist town that has boomed with Angkor Wat's popularity.

My first thought shortly after landing was that I was in for a headache. There was the endless yells towards me for prostitutes, drugs, transport or Angkor tours. This was no surprise, but still annoying. After awhile you learn to become deaf to the offers and can try to walk without being bothered.

I quickly organized a motorbike tour of the temples on my first day and started it on the second. I chose a motorbike because I'm solo and it's the cheapest choice if you want an engine. Angkor Wat temple and a few nearby are not too far. If you want to ride a bicycle it's possible, but with the heat and distance to the others and motor is a better choice. Also if you're in a group larger than one, or have a few extra dollars to spend, go for a Tuk-tuk. It a motorbike with a carriage attached. It will give a more comfortable ride and much needed shade between the temples. My neck now is still red, even though I applied sunscreen several times.

The major temples are a sight to see. Even with all the tourists, if you go to the outer ones, you can be in relative peace. The scale and variety is the most notable features. Most of the temples have a lot of wear, which is no shock because of their age and amount of use. A few of the newer, outer temples' carvings are in better shape, but lack the size of the others. One thing I really liked was the incorporation of a moat with most of the temples. Some are still filled, while others are long dried up. The main temple, Angkor Wat, has the largest and best maintained.

My feeling for the temples is mixed. It is no doubt a must see world site, but I feel that Cambodia really has to be careful with it's regulation of vendors throughout it. You cannot walk ten feet from the temples without being cornered for offers of drinks, guidebooks or t-shirts. I know these vendors are trying to make money and are extremely poor, but it really takes away from you focusing and taking in the specialness of the temples. It is difficult to look back and really appreciate these sites when your shirt is being tugged on by a person asking you to buy postcards. You have to always be on the move and cannot stay still and relax. I'm not saying remove the vendors, just the touting. If someone wants to buy a souvenir or cold drink, they'll come up to the stand. No yelling is needed. This change would really help to give the Angkor area's peace back. Also the park staff is already there to regulate this change. There are almost always staff surrounding the temples checking to see is your pass is valid. All they would have to do, is when they see touts, do a quick "Shhhhh." Problem fixed. I really hope they do this in the future. Only time will tell.

Time to head east now.




Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



23rd May 2007

now this is sick
You are definitely sharpening that photographers eye.. your pictures are amazing! Btw, since when are you hatin on folk trying to come up w/ a buck? haha later Yogs -C
29th May 2007

pix
I love the trees growing on top of the temples, they look beautiful! Great stories, take care.
7th September 2008

hello can you give me advise before my first trip to cambodija
shall i book in advance or is there lots of choice for accomodation

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb