Magical Myanmar


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
February 2nd 2013
Published: February 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

As we are somewhat Facebook Phobic we have fired up our travel blog so you can get an update to our life in the Adelaide Hills and our recent trip to Myanmar (Burma) over Christmas... Myanmar first and then over the coming weeks as I get a chance a few photos of our house renoations and gardens.

We were in Myanmar with a big group of our dear friends from meditation in Cairns. The photos have a short caption that tell you a little about where it was taken... but for a quick overview of the trip: We landed into the capital Yangon where we started with a restful day and then toured the area and visited in the evening the enormous and amazing gold clad Shwedagon Pagoda with its surrounding temples and marble walkways - the centre of Buddhism for the 98% of the population that follow the teachings of the Buddah. A few days south to Mawlamying on the coast to see temples by the sea and the beaches... Then a flight north to the ancient capital of Bagan with it's thousands of ancient pagodas built in the 12th and 13th century... each with it's own fascinating story and special energy. We saw there too the incredible detail and skill of numerous handicrafts including silk spinning and weaving, wood carving, silversmiths making jewelry, intricate hand sewn applique with sequens and lacquerwear. From there to Mandalay on the Ayeyarwaddy River where we took a boat trip to the village of Mingun with it's famous giant bell. On Christmas day in Mandaly we visited the Monastic school and orphanage that the group has supported for many years and brought gifts to the orphans. Finally south to Lake Inlay where we stayed in an amazing resort built on stilts out on the water as many of the village buildings are. There we had two wonderful days touring by canoe the lake with it's facinating hand made crafts, floating gardens and ancient temples... although underdeveloped by Western standards Myanmar has a magical, timeless feel to it. A place where life revolves for the most part around the small farms, livestock and hand made crafts that provide a living, and the deep devotion to Buddhism that nourishes a population still living under the rule of a corrupt millitary junta. Despite the pre-industrial status, the people were friendly and welcoming and seemed well clothed and fed. There is an air of hope and the presence of visitors is a reassurance for them that things are going to improve. A truely magical place that will no doubt experience many changes over the coming years... worth a visit soon :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb