Here are the Highlights from Our Time in Bhutan


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
March 5th 2018
Published: July 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

The domain of Bhutan continues to be an unexploited jewel of the Himalayas. Since the kingdom was closed for foreign tourists till 1970, Bhutan has managed to preserve astonishing old-style Buddhist culture exceptionally combined with up-to-date sensibilities. From our five-day journey (which was far too less a time to explore this beautiful place completely) here are the highlights of the trip -

Day 1

After arriving in Kathmandu airport, we were met by our local tour guide representatives, a company which we had found on the internet. We were driven to our hotel in a private car. The route from the airport to the hotel was so peaceful and beautiful, we knew what to expect. After relaxing for some hours in the hotel, our local guide showed up in the evening. He showed us around the tumultuous city of Kathmandu. Our hotel was right next to the city centre of Durbar Square from where we visited the local market bazaars in Thamel. We also tried to visit the historic House of the Living Goddess but sadly it was closed as it was a bit late in the evening.

Day 2

On our second day we had the chance to probe deeper into ancient Bhutanese culture by exploring Thimphu – Bhutan’s capital city. On our half-day tour round the metropolitan, we stopped at art-workshops and galleries to explore the history of the place. There are convents and monasteries aplenty all around Thimphu. The best part of Thimphu however was the Takin sanctuary which held hordes of Takin, a large goat-like mammal which is also the national animal of Bhutan.

After feasting on the local cuisine at a restaurant near the Takin sanctuary, we travelled to the beautiful town of Punakha. The three-hour drive through the thick forests was enchanting and a bit scary because the road was climbing up gently towards the Dochu La Pass. Upon reaching the top, we breathed in the remarkable mountain landscapes to the north. As the sun was starting to set, we were forced to leave this heaven on earth, driving down towards the Punakha Valley and back to our hotels.

Day 3

That day we decided to explore Thimpu on our own. We visited the King’s Memorial – a shrine built in honour of the 3rd king of Bhutan. Several Bhutanese people visit this place to pray and offer their respects.

Day 4

Our driver took us to Paro on our fourth day. Since we had started the day off very early, we were lucky to spend the entire day in one of the highest passes in Bhutan - Cheli La. Our guide took us to some of the beautiful local villages where we further admired the mountain views and had a glimpse of life in these peaceful villages.

Day 5



The final day we had to fly back to Kathmandu from Thimphu. Luckily, we had some time to explore Kathmandu and buy some beautiful souvenirs.

Bhutan truly is a work of art. The people, the scenery and the atmosphere certainly left us wanting more. If you are thinking of going then I would recommend doing plenty of research beforehand to get the best tour operator to accompany you on your Bhutan tour. We can’t wait to go back!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.657s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.3827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb