Punakha Valley to Paro Valley


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan » Paro » Taktshang Goemba
November 2nd 2013
Published: July 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday 2ndNovember



Another amazing day!<span> After breakfast this morning, we checked out of the hotel and headed back to the primary school we walked past yesterday.<span> The children are back at school today after a public holiday – well half of them anyway!<span> It seems that sickies after public holidays are universal LOL.

The principal of the school knows we’re coming and as he sees us coming through the back from the paddy fields, he calls the 20 or so students who bothered to attend school, to assembly.

The knee high to a grasshopper school captain leads the national anthem and then the morning prayer beneath the flag before they file in to class.<span> The prep/ones are in a little room to the right, while the older children up to grade 6 use the main room.<span> The little ones have a student teacher, and the rest are schooled by the principal.

We are welcomed with open arms. The kids sing songs for us and show us their books, most of which are in English as English plays a major part of their schooling throughout Bhutan.

Before we leave we give them all of the toothbrushes we packed to bring here.<span> Their gorgeous<span> eyes just light up.<span> It doesn’t take much to make children smile does it?<span> Just having something new that is theirs to keep is really special to them.<span> The teacher explains that although these children’s homes appear large, there is actually nothing in them and they are very poor.

We head back to Paro from here today.<span> The town is jam packed with people!!! Apparently there is a very important blessing at the Dzong.

Our hotel for the next 2 nights , Hotel Olathang ( Dagsville ) was built in the 70’s to accommodate the Royal family and their guests. It has since been transformed into a hotel.

You should see it!!<span> We have a cabin. <span> As you walk in the door, what strikes you first is the bright red carpet, then the Blue, red and yellow striped curtains and THEN the wooden armchairs and couch with brightly coloured, elaborately patterned , woven wool cushions.<span> GOLD I tell ya LOL

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 55; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb