The Faces of the Women Borrowers


Advertisement
Bangladesh's flag
Asia » Bangladesh » Dhaka
December 6th 2007
Published: December 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Going to Ranpur


The faces of the borrowers provide the most impactful reflection of why we are here and are drawn to serve. The Pastor in our group had shot a particularly impactful set of photos. They were close up with of the faces of the women. My shots had not been closeups until then. The attached photos (from last week) started to capture that view - but I hope to do a much better job as I go to the field with BRAC. There is much to show and share about relative to the village experience. Because I did not have access to Internet and because I would also have been too tired to blog after returning to the Branch office where we stayed - I have not yet been able to share this aspect with you. It sounds like I may have access to the Internet when I go to the field with BRAC - as I will be staying in one of their 16 training centers around the country. I also expect to have an easier experience as the Branch Manager will be personally escorting me and I suspect that his english will be quite good.

Tomorrow is their Holy Day and BRAC has hired a car and guide to show me around Dhaka.

The next day (Saturday) I leave very early in the morning to go by bus to Ranpur - I am told about a 7 hour ride. At this point I will not be escorted - hope I don't miss the stop to get off :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



6th December 2007

pictures
Marty the pictures of the women are wonderful. It appears to me that the women are more relaxed and friendly. They do not seem reluctant to have their picture taken. Where are the men? Did you need to get permission first before snapping a photo? How is the food situation? and sleeping conditions. Does the weather continue to be moderate? How do you wash your clothes? What was the 7/hr ride on the bus like? were there animals allowed on the bus? did you talk to people on the bus? Lynn
6th December 2007

Still In Dhaka
Hi Lynn - I don't go to Ranpur until tomorrow. I tour Dhaka today. Most of these photos of the women are at their weekly center meeting. I don't know where the men were at that time. No need for asking for approval to shoot. The food situation here at BRAC Inn is great - I would guess that I am not loosing weight while here. Sleeping is great. The mattress is not as thick as we are used to - but it is thick enough not to hurt my back. The weather is pretty much unchanged - maybe a couple of degree cooler - which is good. It has never gotten cool enough to put on a jacket. I have sent my laundry out for cleaning twice. One day service and reasonable rates. I'll tell you about the bus ride in a couple of days. Thanx for the questions.
8th December 2007

& hour ride sounds like a very good experience for you.
Marty, I am so proud of you. I did not know you were that flexible. have you been able to interview the borrowers? How do they gauge the services and their impact on the receipient? I need to know know more about how those in rural areas feed themselves? Are they like in Miseebe where almost everyone in the village has access to a piece of land to grow something to feed the family even though not enough. I undersnat the population density in that part of the world is unbealievable. What kind of living conditions of those who have not been able to access BRAC program? What infrastructure is in place? Latrine, water system, road system, school and medical services? I do dnot mean the ones in the urban areas but those in remote areas far away from bright lights and paved roads?

Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb