The Armenian Genocide


Advertisement
Armenia's flag
Asia » Armenia
February 6th 2014
Published: February 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Anne Smith's father, aunt,and various relatives were survivors of the genocide. mzy aunt was about 8 years old, along with several brothers, sisters, mother, father, cousins were forced out of their village of Ovajic. Anne's aunt was even sold to an Arab family in order to save her life. A sister was attacked by one of the Turkish soldiers and because of her struggle, both of her eyes were gouged out with a sword in front of the family. I can't imagine what the family felt seeing the sister's eyes gouged out! They were not allowed to help her in anyway and were forced to leave her and ordered to keep marching. The rest of the family all died eventually on the march. Smith's aunt, who was sold to the Arab family, was finally located after the end of the war. Her brother, my father, who had been drafted into the Turkish Navy during this time, was allowed to look for any missing relatives. Fortunately he found her in the last village he was going to because he was ready to give up. Her brother had a picture of her with him and sent it with a family member (Arab) to show her. She immediately recognized him, however, she had to convince him that she was his sister.

Anne's sister, Takouhie, was named after the aunt who had her eyes gouged out. The family was traumatized and her father never forgot that incident , naturally. She says "We heard the story many times as children."It is a sad commentary that the Turks to this day, deny that it ever happened.It is hard to say anything. Anne says " I am afraid all of my cousins, sisters etc. who were born after that happened, have become too acquired into the American culture to fully appreciate what they went through." Anne's family went through a lot and and I think she wants to feel apart of her culture because of the genocide.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb