Marathon!


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica
March 12th 2012
Published: March 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Reached land late on 3/7. A very smooth crossing in good weather. Spent 3/8 in zodiacs crusing among the bays around South Shetland Islands with a wet landing (all landings are wet)at Roberts Is, 1st up close and personal encounter with Chinstrap Penguins and Fur Seals. Climbed around and chased by the more aggressive fur seals and at top of Is found a glacier and a beautiful lake, a surprise!

March 9, Marathon Day. Woke to a stormy cold generally dreary day, rain and very windy. Got to the race via zodiac, and quickly removed all rain gear and set up to run. The course was 3 loops out and back from Russia's Bellinghausen station to Uruguay, back to Russia and west to Chile and finally China's base before turning around and doing it 3 more times. It's hard to describe the conditions, 50mph winds, sleet and hail and then snow coming at you sideways, really hard to get any protection. The wind would blow your run leg into the planted leg and almost knock you over. The course was as advertised, mud, loose rock, scree, and by the 3rd loop, ponds had formed in low lying areas, go around or march thru! I will say I did finish!

But it was very painful and not pretty and I literally crawled into the finish line. I felt better as another 4th time racer said this was the most difficult conditions he has ever ran this race in.

After the race we headed south, to the White Continent! The morning presented a spectatular sunrise. Anchored off the coast and took zodiacs to Trinity Is in the Weddell Sea to watch Gentoo penguins and cruised around icebergs to watch leopard seals. The weather is excellent and the crew is so excited we are seeing so much wildlife! Apparently we are very lucky!

Next we were off to Charlotte bay and Cuverville island, Neko Harbor where humpback whales played with us by circling our zodiac, and then Paradise

Bay> Days spent on land, hiking to tops of glaciers and then sliding

Bay> down

on our butts! I feel ike a kid! after sliding down we stripped down and jumped in the ocean! yes, it was a true Polar Plunge! burr!!!

Thats all for now! I highly recommend this adventure! Love Rosemary

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb