South Shetland Islands
Background: Speculation over the existence of a "southern land" was not confirmed until the early 1820s when British and American commercial operators and British and Russian national expeditions began exploring the Antarctic Peninsula region and other areas south of the Antarctic Circle. Not until 1840 was it established that Antarctica was indeed a continent and not just a group of islands. Several exploration "firsts" were achieved in the early 20th century. Following World War II, there was an upsurge in scientific research on the continent. A number of countries have set up year-round research stations on Antarctica. Seven have made territorial claims, but not all countries recognize these claims. In order to form a legal framework for the activities of nations on the continent, an Antarctic Treaty was negotiated that neither denies nor gives recognition to existing territorial claims; signed in 1959, it entered into force in 1961.
Photos from South Shetland Islands
Blogs from South Shetland Islands
Latest Blogs from South Shetland Islands
- September 26th 2013 Trip of a lifetime to Antarctica
by Words: 45 Photos: 0
- February 6th 2013 Antarctica, de foto's deel 2
by Words: 109 Photos: 23
- January 24th 2013 ADMIRALTY BAY
by Words: 293 Photos: 4
- January 21st 2013 DALLMANN BAY, ANTARCTICA
by Words: 215 Photos: 7
- January 20th 2013 CAPE HORN AND THE DRAKE PASSAGE
by Words: 386 Photos: 5
- January 13th 2013 Crossing the Drake Passage and South Shetland Islands
by Words: 1186 Photos: 14
- December 19th 2012 Mikkelsen Harbour and Cierva Cove
by Words: 608 Photos: 117
- March 8th 2012 Amazing Antarctica
by Words: 56 Photos: 17
- January 15th 2012 Winter wonderland or do I mean summer here.
by Words: 253 Photos: 0
- November 23rd 2011 Antarctica Expedition
by Words: 3613 Photos: 34
- March 20th 2011 ANTARCTIC DREAM Part Two! Life on the boat!
by Words: 1157 Photos: 79
- March 17th 2011 ANTARCTIC DREAM! Part Three, The Lesson!
by Words: 723 Photos: 178
- March 13th 2011 ANTARCTIC DREAM Part One! The Route!
by Words: 1110 Photos: 50
- March 4th 2011 Maarten's Birthday: Swimming, A Nudie Run and A Cabin Crawl
by Words: 1169 Photos: 7
- December 29th 2010 Ice Ice baby....Antarctica. Part 1
by Words: 2904 Photos: 0
- December 4th 2010 The Frozen Continent
by Words: 3775 Photos: 0
- February 16th 2010 We've been to the 'End of the World'
by Words: 552 Photos: 7
- January 3rd 2010 Antarctica - Arctowski Station - King George Island
by Words: 11 Photos: 13
- January 3rd 2010 Antarctica - Halfmoon Island
by Words: 2 Photos: 9
- January 1st 2010 Icebergs at Sea
by Words: 5 Photos: 7