Monday 17th October 2016


Advertisement
Africa
October 17th 2016
Published: October 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today it has been another early start. First we drove to Nata to fill up with diesel. We also needed beer but found the liquor stores don't open until 10am. So got on the long straight road to Kasane. On the way with temperature creeping up all the way to 39 we saw 2 eagles, a donkey cart, 2 zebra, lots of goats, groups of elephants and 3 tractors. We also saw accidents, one where an army jeep had been rolled and another where a 4x4 had come off the road and looked very battered with a fire engine and ambulance attending. This was sobering so we went more carefully though there wasn't much traffic. We stopped at a picnic post for a coffee and there was a notice saying we stopped at our own risk due to wild animals about.

As we moved on there were several stopping posts for veterinary checks but we were quickly moved on. As we reached Kasane which is near a border point there were hundreds of lorries queueing for the border which we had to pass on the other side of the road and then go onto the far verge to allow traffic coming by to pass. We found a shopping area and stocked up with provisions and beer. Finally reached Chobe Lodge Camp at Kasane which is just outside Chobe Park and on the edge of the river. We picked a spot overlooking the river next to a sign saying beware of hippos and crocs! So far we have only seen 2 elephants, lots of monkeys and bush pigs, a monitor lizard and lots of birds. The electric is very tempermental so it looks like it could be another hot night. So we've had a swim and just off to evening meeting to hear about tomorrow's early morning safari. We have also booked for a boat trip in the afternoon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb