Ministry of Confusion


Advertisement
Africa
July 16th 2009
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ministry of Confusion

With no longer than 48 hours till the US president touches down in Ghana, all planning and preparations are completed and finalised, at least that is what one would’ve expected.

With the whole world watching the reunion of Barack Obama to Africa, it is hard to believe such mayhem could arise with such a historic event due to take place. The Ministry of Information was the location of such confusion, on Thursday morning as journalists flocked to an “off the record” press conference, a conference that gave little information that was necessary for journalists to do their job.

Journalists from all corners of the world touched down in Accra to report on the arrival of the US President. However many journalists had been left confused, annoyed and deterred as they tried to gain accreditation to what they had already fought for, two months prior to their arrival in Ghana.

Many foreign correspondents were led to believe that a fee of GH¢50 for a Ghanaian Press Pass was going to be enough to see the President. However this was not the case, after paying such a high fee it instantly became public knowledge that the pass was no more than a temporary card that had no benefits to the Obama rally, and was no help for the journalists that made the long journey to sub-Saharan climates.

Unfortunately the confusion saw no end, with journalists left uninformed with the accreditation passes, to make matters worse an eleventh hour decision to move the conference added to the uncertainty. This change of location resulted in limited access for journalists meaning many were without the story they had come for.

Correspondents were left waiting for answers from the Ministry of Information, many companies were told before they departed for Accra that their passes had been completed, only to find that Journalists being told they could not cover the Obama tour.

Such confusion was a huge disappointment in the organisation and build up to the visit of such a prestigious guest.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb