The Big City


Advertisement
Africa
December 10th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dear Friends,
We are in the City today. Yes, that means Lushoto. Everytime you read a blog it comes from our district town. We are here for the usual: bank, PO, internet, and supplies. But, we are also in search of electricity to recharge our phone, computer, and OURSELVES. We need a HOT shower in the worst way. So, a trip to Lawn's Hotel is in order.
We have been busy conducting a village survey, both house to house and at meetings - some 64 questions on all aspects of life here, including needs and plans for the future. These must be responses by the villagers, not what we may think they need. Then, after we compile our data, we write a report in both English and Kiswalil with our findings, recommendations, and then this becomes the supporting statistics for grants that we can aply for to improve life in our village. PC insists that they be sustainable and of benefit to the whole community or at least a target group. So, we need to type it and have it copied, and mailed off to PC. Then if the draft is approved, we present it to our fellow PCVs at a Jan. IST (Initial Service Training) at a meeting/workshop in the capitol, Dudomo. More on that later.
The holidays are rapidly approaching and we want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas from Tanzania. YES, we will miss our family and all the traditions that we have grown so accustom to, but we'll find new, and more simple ways, to express our Christmas Joy! We will have company, another wazee (elder) couple from Ohio...although they are younger than we are. And, we'll also attend Mass at our local church St. Theresa's. We wish for a healthy, happy, and holy Christmas for all the world, no matter what their beliefs are.
We must share the excitement of the day. A new baby calf was born last night, without help, and proud Mama is licking it clean as we watch. It's wobbly little legs gave out to a rough tongue, but she (I think) is smelling Mama's miand trying to get some. I'm calling her Precious as that was the first word out of my mouth. Her mama is Patches. So, now we have 8 cows...surely, that's a herd! love, Dave & Wendy...The books for the library are still coming in and we thank you svery much for all you have done.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb