Inauguration from afar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Lushoto
January 24th 2009
Published: January 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dear Blog Readers, Sorry you haven't heard from us for awhile, but the last two times we have tried, the electricity was down and so...But, our big news from Carmel is that our oldest grandson Dylan joined 8 CHS seniors and attended Obama's Inauguration. We have to hear all about it; as it must have been an occasion that will always be remembered. A chance in a lifetime experience for a 17 yr. old. We were just happy to be able to see and hear it from a Guesti bar along with 7 Tanzanians who asked many questions and were all very interested in the procedings. It was a good cultural and civics lesson for all of us. And, what a speech! We were very impressed, proud, optimistic, and thankful in what he said and what we hope he can do. I even purchased an Inaugural kanga with his picture on it with the continent of Africe and wore it proudly!
We leave tomorrow via bus to the capital Dodoma where we will meet half of our PCV group and have our IST training in grant writing, permaculture, and other info. It will be the first time we have been together since swearing in. I also hope for more opportunities to internet...we'll see. And, no cooking for 2 weeks. There are restaurants there and meals at the vocational training center where we'll be. Our TZ counterparts will also join us and we'll present our report on our village, based on the survey and interviews that we have done in the last couple of months.
If we do have time and access to internet maybe I'll dig out some of the old blogs that didn't seem as important as Obama, but show more of our way of life as we approach our 6 month at our site. Maybe I can post a photo. We do wish you all a wonderful 2009 and keep those cards, BOOKS, and letters coming in. We appreciate your efforts so much. Thanks for reading our ramblings. Dave & Wendy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb