We are in the capital


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Centre » Dodoma
February 6th 2009
Published: February 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dear Far Away Faithful Readers, We have just completed a 2 week training seminar and are ready to write grants and tackle some of the issues that the village survey pointed out as being of importance to their health and well-being. We have lots of work ahead of us. It was also a time to relax and renew acquaintances with 1/2 of our group. Everyone is still energized and ready to push their sleeves up and get to work. We also had a mini-vacation from chores as the training facility did the cooking, washed the dishes, did the laundry, emptied the garbage and tended the garden. But, we miss our site and will be happy to get back. We were able to find ice cream (several times) and mustard...2 items we can't get in Lushoto. We had very good programs from PC staff, country director (who says she has read ourblog), and some PCVs who are doing things in their villages...pitfalls to avoid and good practical advice. The counterparts from TZ added an important cultural demention to our discussions. Dave's counterpart Kim was able to get us all into a session of the Bunge (Parliament) which was very interesting for us and our TZ counterparts, some who had never been to the capital. We also had a heart to heart talk with a mama living with AIDS. 2.2 million of TZ or 6% of the population is infected, but those are just the known cases who have been tested. How many more are out there who are afraid to be tested? We taught an HIV prevention class to Standard 7 (12-14 yrs) and were pleased with the response. These are all strategies we can apply in our own villages. Permaculture gardens can add nutrition to someone living with AIDS. And, so many, many more things that can be done. We are ready to do what we can.
On another subject our grandson Dylan was a Obama's Inauguration and wrote a blog for the local paper which we were able to access. Well, I must get to packing. More after we return to Malindi. love, D & W

Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb