Botswana Self Drive Part 2


Advertisement
Africa
May 7th 2023
Published: May 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Continuation of Botswana Self Drive -



Our next stop is ‘world famous’ Savuti Campsite in Chobe NP for 2 nights. Once in the park, our campsite is another 65km north on a narrow sandy track thru the bush. Whenever another vehicle came in the opposite direction, one of us had to climb up on the side bank of the road to allow the other to go by.



The campsite was very nice with an amazingly fortified ablution building. We are talking 10’ tall, earthen backed, concrete block fronted bunker with 2 narrow entry points, barely wide enough for us to go thru. All this in the attempt to keep the elephants away from the water source. A little unnerving since we were In an open campsite area 😊 . Our first night we had a lovely campsite with a view of the dry river bed. Although signing in we were told we should drive to the ablution building as the sand was quite deep, and if we had to run away from an animal, we would be too slow. We think she was kidding, but we drove anyway!!



The park was fantastic. Early morning at Marbough waterhole we sat and watched herds of elephants, wildebeest and zebra. It was fascinating to watch their interaction and behavior. Then we went over to Rhino Vlei and sat again watching more zebra, giraffe and water buffalo. There is definitely a hierarchy to the animal kingdom. Also saw our first Baobobs.



Then it was on to Muchenje, 95 km and 4 hours later with some of the ‘worst’ roads of the trip. But it was a beautiful drive thru Mopane forests. It was weird, how by now we were used to seeing impalas jump across the road, zebras in the brush. But, I don’t think any of us got use to the large male elephants along or in the road. We would politely back up, especially if he saw us before we did and a bellow and ear flapping occurred ‘back up, back up back up’!! Then we would sit and wait until he decided he was done eating and wander into the brush. It was amazing how quickly such a large animal could just disappear!!



We also stopped at two different women’s group shops who made beautiful baskets. An early morning game drive with the lodge near by. We are now seeing more of the Chobe river, lots of impalas, kudus, cape buffalos, giraffes and elephants. By now, the cats had been elusive as the only ones we saw where the lions at Splash Camp. So driving out of Chobe park, a safari rig is stopped and Patti and Doug quickly see a tail across the road. Slowly pulling aside, sits a leopard about 5 ft from the road!! Yet, had the safari rig not stopped, I am pretty sure we would have missed it!!



Out of Chobe NP, we enjoy the tarred road to Kasane, arriving just in time for our sunset river boat cruise on the Chobe river. The river here is wide and shallow reaching to the Namibian border. Again, lots of hippos, elephants and a couple of crocodiles ending with a beautiful sunset!



The next morning, Patti and Doug enjoy a day trip to Vic Falls, while we go down to Chobe Forest Camp, about 42 kms south. Our last night as the only campers at this lovely small campsite with a beautiful hide where we sit and watch at least 3 families of elephants the last one, at least 30 elephants! All of this, while we enjoy our dinner. The most perfect evening entertainment, and finale to our trip!



The next morning Patti and Doug continue south on their way back to Maun, while Ed & I travel to Vic Falls to see the amazing amount of water cascading over!!



It was another great trip!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



9th May 2023

Thank you for sharing
As always...Amazing photos! Enjoying hearing of your adventures! Stay safef!
13th May 2023

Elephants Galore
Great photos from Botswana as it looks like you had a lovely time. I didn't seem to pull up any photos from Tasetstan. Sorry for the misspelling but have fun on your latest adventure. GW

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb