How To Be A Lion Cub


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
April 1st 2006
Published: May 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

GreetingGreetingGreeting

I think headbutts are a good way to greet each other
How To Behave Like A Lion Cub

So you’ve decided that normal human existence is too mundane for you and have decided that lions are pretty cool and behaving like one would be a better way to enjoy life

Congratulations on deciding to start behaving like one of the coolest creatures on Earth.

Your priorities should now be:

Eat. As much as you can. Constantly
Sleep. Also as much as you can
Play

Trying to achieve a balance between these may at first seem trick, but just look at circumstances around you and you’ll know what to do.

So what do you do?


Greeting

Bump heads. Rub heads and shoulders and maybe try to bite the other cub on the neck or wrestle them.


Food

Grab food and start eating. Growl at anything that comes within 10 meters, whilst eating. If you finish before any other cubs, try to steal their food.


If You See Anything Under 1 Meter Tall

Look at it. Stalk it. Jump on it.


Play Fighting/Wrestling/Dominance

Role over the ground and other cub(s) biting, scratching and pawing the other
EatingEatingEating

This is food
cub(s). Try to bite on the inner thigh, under the neck, back of neck and on top of the head.

Whilst not very useful, biting the tail can prove extremely irritating for the other cub.


Following The Pride

If it’s hot find a shady spot. Lay down. Don’t move no matter how much of a fuss others make.

If its cool run all over the place and make sure you don’t do anything any one asks.


Toys

Toys are yours. If someone tries to take it away from you dig your claws into it and pull it towards you. If attempts persist put it in your mouth.


Drinking

Feeling thirsty? Find a hole with muddy brown water, crouch down and start lapping it up.

If you see another cub drinking walk over to them, butt heads to say hello and conveniently knock them out of the way and start drinking their water.

Please note that another cub may use this opportunity to start a wrestling match.


Sleeping

Try to sleep as much as possible.


If you want affection

Lick your lips
StalkingStalkingStalking

Penduka shows us how to keep low to the ground
whilst walking towards the nearest person/cub. Head butt them and rub your head, shoulders and body against them. You may choose to slump your weight onto them, if there is no threat around.

Try to initiate a play fight by tripping and/or biting them.


Dealing With Unwanted Affection

This happens, and even though one day you’ll be a fearsome king or queen of the animal kingdom people still think you’re cute and cuddly.

1) Use your paw to gently push their hand/paw away.
2) If attempts persist repeat step 1, but be firmer.
3) If they continue, use your claws.
4) If they insist snarl spit and use your teeth to bite their hand off. They should know
better.

Don’t forget to give them a “what the hell do you think you’re doing look”


Sleeping Position

As a lion you have various options for a comfortable 20-hour sleeping stretch…

1) Lay on your stomach. Rear paws stretched out to one side. Front paws stretched
out in front of you. Your head can either be put on the ground in front of you, on
one of your front legs, or on a rock or anything that can be passed off as a pillow.
2) Lay flat on your side with your legs stretched out at right angles to your body. In
this position you have the option of dangling your upside front paw over your nose
or eyes to protect them from flies.
3) On your back, legs stretched out in a starfish formation. This position allows others
to rub our belly. MMMMMMMM belly rub….


Climbing Trees

As a lion cub you like climbing, despite the fact that you don’t like heights and are next to useless at getting down gracefully.

Preferably you want a slopped tree that has a suitable nook for you to go too sleep in. Every effort must be made to climb out to the thinnest branches regardless of whether or not it can actually hold your weight.

If you fall off, run away, hide and sulk.


Sulking

Walk off and hide. Stay there.


Head Butting

Your head is a versatile tool even if not appropriate. Uses include:

Greeting (see earlier instruction)
Fighting
Charging and Hunting
Trying to move or break immovable and unbreakable objects


Attention Span

The shorter the better


Fear and Annoyances

You may one day be King or Queen of the jungle, however at the moment you’re not fully grown.

So how does this little prince or princess deal with big and scary things?

Simple. Show them your teeth, they’re not just for eating and looking pretty! You may choose to give a little vocalisation as well by snarling.


Snarling

Show your teeth and make a sound from the throat.

Please note that if the person is to one side of you, you should save as much energy as possible by only snarling on that side (like Elvis).


Dung

Smell something you’ve never smelt before? Is it coming from a green/brown heap on the floor? Time to go over and taste it. It may be food.

Lick it. Eat it. Spit it out. And crinkle your nose when its registered in your brain.

Rolling in it is also an option, if there is enough as is repeating the above after urinating on it.


What is a toy?

Anything that catches your attention for more that 5 seconds and can be chewed, clawed, pawed, tripped, jumped on or fought over.

Please note that if another cub has something that they are playing with it is a toy, even if you didn’t consider it too be one and every effort must be made to steal it.


Jealousy

Certain things and places are yours. Intruders should know better and should be dealt with using all the force you can muster.

If you see something another cub has and like it or haven’t experienced it yet every effort must be made to get it using every trick and weapon at your disposal. Once it has been obtained don’t forget to run away and hide as the other cub will want it back and they won’t be happy about you claiming the toy.


Rivers & River Crossings

As a cat you have mixed feelings about water.

Initially every effort must be made to avoid getting your paws muddy and wet. Especially muddy, even though you don’t mind drinking muddy water.

If you have to get your paws wet make sure
Anything is a toyAnything is a toyAnything is a toy

And must be obtained
it’s only your paws.

HOWEVER…

If you see another cub in water set your own feelings aside and take the opportunity to get them as wet as possible by jumping on them and starting a wrestling match.


Mating Practise (Older cubs only)

Find another lion cub and start humping away. Please note that the other cub may not appreciate your practice time, especially if it’s your brother, and may jump up and give you a whack across the face.


Where To Sleep

Sleep is important and a place to make your bed should be given more than the usual half a second’s thought.

A place should be close to food, water and shelter.

It should also be as soft as possible.

If you see another cub asleep then all your problems are solved as they have already thought about everything. All you have to do now is go and sleep on them, using them as a mattress.


Stretching

A bit stiff after your latest 20-hour slumber on your sibling? A quick stretch should loosen those muscles and click those bones back into place.

Plant your
MY ToyMY ToyMY Toy

Dont you dare come near it and don you forget it
front paws as far forward as possible and rock back onto your rear paws sticking your ass in the air. Yawning and shaking your head simultaneously is also an option.

Please note that the sibling you just used as a mattress may take this opportunity to jump on you.


Feeling Abit Skittish?

That’s okay. Your only little and it can be a big bad world out there.

When this situation occurs remember to let another cub take the risk and do it first so you know everything will be okay.

Don’t forget to give them a “What the hell are you doing?” look even though you’ll be doing t right after them.


Sounds

Body language is your main methods of communication, however the occasional sound also comes in usefull.

mmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmm: Indicates that you are enjoying something

Grr Grr Grr Grr: Indicates annoyance

Grrrrrrrrrrrr: Indicates anger and aggression

m’Ow: Indicates a call to another cub.


And that’s basically it. There are things that haven’t been covered in here but I’m sure you’ll figure out what to do if you just sleep on it long enough…
DrinkingDrinkingDrinking

The mud and algea adds flavour

Sehail. The worlds oldest and biggest lion cub.

PS I've finally managed to add photos to my last blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Drinking IIDrinking II
Drinking II

Dont forget to try to steal your sibling's water aswell
Sleep ISleep I
Sleep I

Narnia demonstrating how to sleep on your side
Sleep IISleep II
Sleep II

Narnia demonstrating the use of her arm and the ground as a pillow
Sleep IIISleep III
Sleep III

Penduka get a brlly rub when he tries to lay on his back
Sleep IVSleep IV
Sleep IV

Rememer to try to use other cubs as matresses
Sleep VSleep V
Sleep V

Phoenix shows us how to use your foreleg as a pillow
Sleep VISleep VI
Sleep VI

Phoenix demonstrates how trying to sleep is a very important part of you day
Climbing TreesClimbing Trees
Climbing Trees

Just remeber to pick somewhere soft for you eventuall fall out of it.
TerritoryTerritory
Territory

Must be defended. Especially from siblings.
Dung TestingDung Testing
Dung Testing

It could be food!
Dung Testing IIDung Testing II
Dung Testing II

Well it smelt like food...
ProcreationProcreation
Procreation

Remember OLDER cubs only


2nd June 2006

How to be Sehail/Lion Cub?
Are you sure all of these are how to be a Lion Cub? I am pretty sure I've seen some of these so called lion actions first hand when I've been round your place, or to the cinema with you or when at PFC. (Oh cool pictures by the way!!) By now you are probably half way up Killi, so good luck with the rest of the journey. I will give you a shout very soon. Many thanks for the good luck messages for my finals Speak to you soon mister, Take care Love Big Dave

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb