Bicycle Bush Road Ride with Potifer


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
May 15th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

Potifer found two bicycles that had working brakes and gears and so we were ready for an adventure. After a brief session on how to behave while riding, and what to do if we saw an animal and that Laura would always be in the middle we were ready to go. He also said he would be in the lead most of the time and we should ride single file.

Set off from the camp and had not gone very far when we found leopard scat on the road in two places that was very fresh. Looked around to see if we could see someone lurking nearby and were glad when the all clear was signaled!

Took the road toward the Kapani Lodge and stopped at the Chinzombo Lagoon. Walked down to the water and saw giraffe, hippo and some people fishing. Walked through the lodging that was used by ZAWA when they were on duty.

Took some off road trails that apparently are used by the locals heading to and from the lodges and probably the animals as well. Got out to the tarmac and Potifer told Robert he could lead for awhile. And off he went leaving us behind. Finally caught up with him and stopped at the lagoon on the side of the road for pictures of some of the birds and then Potifer told a wild story of a local "madman" being killed by a crocodile here and the crocodile was killed and they found body parts and a watch(still ticking) inside. Not sure how true but a good story. Of course this is one of the things we enjoy about Potifer is his stories.

Rode almost to the park entrance and then turned around and headed into Mufwe. Took a side road in town and went to the place where they used to butcher hippos but is now a restaurant overlooking the river. Stopped and had a rest there and watched the coming and goings of the fishermen. On the way away from the river, came to a giant baobab tree and stopped for some pictures.

Took another road past several churches where the services were still going on and there was some beautiful singing going on. Headed back through the village and stopped at the Project Luangwa gift shop. They have some beautiful things made by the local woman.

Bicycled back to the camp and were glad we had gone on the ride and were back safely.




Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb