Zambia and Botswana


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
September 1st 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Zambia started off with bang people. God bless a campsite called 'Flatdogs.' Here's the story, basically you can put your tent up on little platforms built into the trees and at night elephants and hippos walk through camp just underneath you because there is NO fencing. What more can you ask for? Yeah it turns out the hippos eat these fruits that grow on the trees call 'sausage fruit' which are massive and weight about as much as a bowling ball. Just ask Dean, one missed his head by about a foot while we were setting up our tent, hitting the platform and scaring us so much that we nearly fell out of the tree!
So us boys basically spent 2 nights putting these at the bottom of the tree and watching these hippos from just 2 meters away having a feed. Very very cool being that close to the most dangerous animal in Africa.

Onto Livingstone, the adventure capital of Africa. We had a good 4 nights there which started off with a booze cruise. We all drew names out of a hat and had to go down to the local op-shop and dress the person whos name we got...dress them however you wanted. Dean got stuck with a mankini and see through jacket, and I was rocking out in a short, skin tight, white dress. Photos will be posted don't you worry. That whole night is a total blur, but I do kinda remember when we got back to shore we got to do some drumming around a campfire. yay!
I also checked out the falls which are MASSIVE! Definately a must see! Again check the photos that I will be posting.

From Zambia we hit Botswana, and we nearly got stuck in the first town cause the power was out causing the supermarket to be shut, and also the entire town had run out of Diesel. Turns out that the price of fuel is sooooo rediculous in Zambia, that they all cross the border and stock up. Luckily the town got a delivery that night and we were out of there.

Most of us then took an optional trip out to the Okavango Delta for some more bush camping. Basically you head out with your guides in a dug-out canoe called a Mokoro and they stop on an island, start a fire and dig a toilet. Home for the next two nights. Was very cool, just relaxing and swimming in the delta, just had to watch out for hippos and crocs. At night we cooked on the campfire and drank warm beer. Apparently on the last night a hippo came into camp and all the guides were yelling and banging sticks on the ground to get it out, I must have slept through that one!

Our last stop in Botswana was the capital Maun. It was here that 6 people left the trip on their way to Johannesburg, and also Dean lost his camera, phone, and I-pod, causing one hell of a piss up! We left the next morning and now we are in Namibia...but more on that in the next blog...


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



1st September 2008

Sexy Boys!
What no rear shot Dean?? I wanted to see if you had a cute ass like your dad. Fleety, great to see that you matched your shoes with your outfit, what is it with lime green!!! These are definately photos that mums can be proud of. XO

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb