Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
September 1st 2008
Published: September 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok so we are on the last leg of the trip through Namibia, working our way down to Capetown in South Africa.
Our first campsite was a place we had been looking forward to because our driver had been raving about it since we left, and he wasn't wrong. They have really gone and outdone themselves at Ngepi Camp! There are themed showers and toilets EVERYWHERE, toilets overlooking the river in the shape of a throne, a loo with a view, showers in treetop platforms, etc etc the list goes on. There is also the worlds first ever Hippo and Croc cage, which is basically a steel-rio cage the size of a small pool out in the river so if there is any wildlife about you can get up close and personal, sweet idea!
Us boys also drank some beers and entertained ourselves with a round of Frizbie Golf which involves walking around the camp and aiming for special flags with a frizbie...just incase the name didn't give it away enough. All was going well until a group of old South Africans refused to move there car away from the second last hole, after considerable beer fueled arguing on mine and Deans behalf we proceeded to 'play through'....car or no car. WHAT? They had it coming!

Our second camp was in the middle of Atosha National Park during a 2 day game drive where we finally got to see a Leopard. There were plenty of waterholes, which concentrated alot of grazing animals in the one place so some sweet photos came out of that. Right next door to the campground there was also a fenced off waterhole which is floodlit at night, so while drinking a beer we were able to sit and watch 2 Black Rino's. Allusive bloody animals, yeah finally got a good look at them too.

Third camp on the list was also AWESOME! Cheetah Park, and yep you guessed it, plenty of time to chill with Cheetahs! Not only did we get to pat some semi-tamed cats, but we aslo got to head out in the back of a ute and throw meat to the wild Cheetahs. Hell Yeah!

So by now we had officially fallen for Namibia and our love continued as we hit Spitzkoffe, a camp basically positioned between massive rock structures in the desert. Huge mounds of hardened magma from old volcano's which have since eroded away leaving hard, smooth granite mountains. So we climbed til our legs couldn't take it anymore, saw a beautiful sunset, and then slept like babies!

Swakupmund...if Livingstone was the adventure capital of Africa, then this place is at least the adventure capital of Namibia. Day one we did some sandboarding, which involves strapping on a snowboard and riding it down the sand dunes in the desert. Cheap and heaps of fun! Dean also did a tandem skydive the next day and apparently has a nice little video of it, one day when I find a dvd player I will have a look. Other than that we 'wined and dined' stuffing our faces with 3 course meals and bottles of wine every chance we got! Why not, it had been I looooong time since we got to eat like that.

Now for the quick sprint down to Capetown. First stop major stop was the Fish River Canyon which is the 2nd biggest canyon in the world apparently. And our last stop in Namibia was the Orange River where we got to spend a couple of hours doing some canoing (was about time we got some exercise!), followed by a one of the biggest hangovers of the trip after the completion of 5 litres of cheap wine consumed by a few of us....Ouch...

So we are now in Capetown and about to fly out in a few hours, I should also mention that the truck finally got a flat tyre two hours outside Capetown, was about time we broke something anyway.

Next blog will be from Europe somewhere so keep an eye out.
Africa was freakin sweet n I hope you liked the blogs....


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Rino at WaterholeRino at Waterhole
Rino at Waterhole

Not the best photo ever...


Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb