getting acclimatized


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region
July 1st 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

So i got a computer to post on finally...

Well I got into Uganda on monday. Stayed a a little place in Entebbe that was really something. Looked like a place out of a jungle mansion, but smaller. It was really nice. Tuesday morning i headed to Mbale in a rickety old toyota corolla. Let me tell you, that was an experience. Along the way, my driver was pulled over by the highway police that control the speeding that always occurs on the roads here. He was pulled over for over-taking a big truck while going over speed-bumps. I guess here that is also a no-no. He also didn't have his original driving permit but instead had a photocopy. The trafficguys made him go and pay his fine in the little town we had passed 15 min before. So myself and another passenger waited there on the side of the road while the driver dealt with his fine. So finely we got on the road and got into the CURE compound around 4:30 uganda time, We left at 10:30 that morning. So total time travel = 6 hrs.

So my first day actualy working in the hospital (tuesday) was awesome. I worked in the lab all day, and managed to stand in on a surgery of a small infant. I guess it will take some getting used to because the majority of patients staying here are small children that have hydrocephalus and spinobifida, there may be other disorders but those are the big two. We also have a lot of walk-in patients getting tested for malaria, HIV, and other diseases. My lab experiences back home are nothing compared to this. The only blood work i ever did at school was in Immunology, but here thats all you work with. A little unnerving but i think with a little time i'll be able to handle it. The surgery was the same way...it was a little wierd to see the neurosurgeon cut open the babies head, and then see the snake probe actually inside the childs brain within the ventricles. An amazing experience that i'm given the opportunity to do as much as i want to.

I guess another big deal was checking out and buying some produce at the local market. What a show...never have i ever experienced anything like that. Ash...you could have never prepared me for that. The people swarm over you just to get your money and sell you things. Haggle, haggle, and more haggling. Bartering is the key to getting what you want, and also taking a local with you, as I did. As a muzungo (white) they jack the price up, so taking a local can get you a good ugandan price. Also, Ash was right, the butchers and meat is like WOW...meat lying out with flies all over it, sticky as hell and i would never buy any of it. Its a disease waiting to happen.

Anyways... i should get back to work and i'll post again in a few days.

tommy gun



Advertisement



1st July 2009

Told You So!
I am glad that your first few days panned out! The surgery thing is soooo coool. I got to witness one, but not up close and personal like that. I was in the theatre watching. Babe, watch out for the police k. They are not to be trusted! I dont think there is anything that I could have said that would have prepared you for the market....Its an experience. Makes you very thankful for the convenience and cleanliness of our local grocery stores. I am not going to comment on the meat but to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" Go Veggies!
1st July 2009

Getting aclimatized!
The first days are always the most trying. Sounds like you have the basics falling into place. What is the weather like there? Is it dry/humid or just dry? Does your job have you working monday to friday? Could you explain a little about the diseases you are working on? What others are predominant in the hospital? What an experience. Nan Cron would be thrilled to know you guys are out there in the world and learning and living with other cultures. Enjoy everything this trip will show you. Can't wait to talk about all the differences you will see. Stay strong, have empathy and learn lots! Robbee

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb