Crossing into Uganda


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region
January 14th 2014
Published: January 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Still so much more to say about Uganda...Jinja and the source of the river Nile, bird watching on the Nile, fishing in Lake Victoria (I said fishing not catching!)

Crossing the border from Kenya into Uganda was relatively painless if somewhat surly.

We stuff ourselves on fresh hot samosas and plump ripe red bananas that hawkers rush to the sizes of our truck...sooo good!

Right away it's obvious that we are in a new country, the roads improve, the comparative affluence is evident, the people appear more healthy and happy, old school reggae blares from brightly painted roadside stands....this place works for me!

Artistic expression is organic and close to home, the humblest of compounds is swept clean, it's huts decorated with bands of light and dark mud. Baskets and woven mats, earthen pots for sale along the roadway.The sheer bounty of the land is overwhelming, bright green fields of sugar cane, mounds of emerald bananas, mangoes, pineapples, carrots, peppers, yams, potatoes, cabbage, I could go on and on.

We cross the equator again, play tourist, buy souvenirs, eat some more then speed straight to Jinja the source of the river Nile and camp alongside lake Victoria...it is breathtaking.

Hiring a little boat we go bird watching on the Nile and are awed by the sheer variety and abundance of bird life. I'll say it again, Uganda is gorgeous! I will never tire of the warmth and smiles of the people and the sheer magnificence of the terrain.

I must however mention the sadness of grinding poverty...hidden deep in the countryside, children at work with little mallets cracking stones into gravel....heartbreaking, more than I could bear to photograph...

It however, is with reluctance that I bid my farewells to beautiful Uganda, but eagerly look ahead toward returning to Kenya, this time to the Masai Mara and the beginning of the sprawling dusty game drives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Nile camp JinjaNile camp Jinja
Nile camp Jinja

View from my tent


14th January 2014

wonderful!!!
LOve your words and photos.
18th January 2014

Thanks Alva it really fabulous. I want to live for a year or so... in Africa somewhere not sure where yet but definitely looking!
18th January 2014

Thanks Alva it really fabulous. I want to live for a year or so... in Africa somewhere not sure where yet but definitely looking!
15th January 2014

Uganda
Wow your photos are brilliant...and the little bird you shot is stunning...Wish I was with you and miss you too...but what a magnificant feeling you must have seeing and being a part of all this....Linda
18th January 2014

Thanks Linda it's fabulous! Loving every minute despite 2 major 'wankers' on the trip. Mercifully one leaves today and the other in 5 days then I still have 3 weeks left. Phew
15th January 2014

Uganda
Wow your photos are brilliant...and the little bird you shot is stunning...Wish I was with you and miss you too...but what a magnificant feeling you must have seeing and being a part of all this....Linda

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb