Tabarka and El Kef - Last time on the North coast


Advertisement
Tunisia's flag
Africa » Tunisia » Tabarka
August 30th 2011
Published: September 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Algerian BorderThe Algerian BorderThe Algerian Border

In the rear-view mirror!
Our final trip to the North of Tunisia! We rented a car and ventured back to Tabarka. It was strange to see that all of the storks we have seen on previous visits have flown their nests and the rooftops were empty.

Once again we stayed at Les Mimosas where half of the town seemed to gather around the pool for a crafty cigarette or a coffee during Ramadan! There had been rumours that some Islamists had tried to burn the hotel down because of this but we saw no evidence other than a burnt patch in the lower gardens. We had a great time and even drove out towards the Algerian border. The mountains were beautiful and the rugged coastline was resplendant in the summer sun.

From Tabarka we drove over the mountains to the city of El Kef. There we stayed in a cheap hotel near the centre and set off to explore. Then the summer rains arrived and we got very wet!! It was an interesting place to spend a day and we meandered around the old medina and up to the Kasbah. The views were nice enough and the local kids were very curious. They probably don't see too many tourists!! Ramadan had finished and they had new toys - at least we hope the guns the boys were brandishing were toys!!!

Whilst Tabarka remains on our MUST SEE list of Tunisia, Kef doesn't come close unless you have run out of other places to see! Still, we're pleased we went. Two things of note there though, we found it very difficult to find somewhere to eat at night and the road back to Tunis included about 100km of roadworks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Boys will be boysBoys will be boys
Boys will be boys

We just hope they were toy guns!!


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb