Background: Following independence from France in 1956, President Habib BOURGUIBA established a strict one-party state. He dominated the country for 31 years, repressing Islamic fundamentalism and establishing rights for women unmatched by any other Arab nation. In recent years, Tunisia has taken a moderate, non-aligned stance in its foreign relations. Domestically, it has sought to defuse rising pressure for a more open political society.
Photos from Djerba
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Djerba
Latest Blogs from Djerba
- January 1st 2012 Taking some Time in Tunisia!!!
by Words: 1070 Photos: 22
- September 13th 2011 Djerba pics
by Words: 2 Photos: 7
- May 31st 2011 La Ghriba Synagogue, but without the pilgrims
by Words: 689 Photos: 13
- May 26th 2011 Toto, I KNOW we are not in Kansas anymore!
by Words: 431 Photos: 12
- December 23rd 2010 Southern Odyssey
by Words: 1297 Photos: 21
- November 28th 2010 Djerba ..island of my dreams : )
by Words: 5 Photos: 0
- April 25th 2010 En route vers Sfax
by Words: 201 Photos: 11
- April 19th 2010 Oubli
by Words: 131 Photos: 0
- March 15th 2010 Djerba Jedis, Jews and Jodhpurs!
by Words: 1668 Photos: 31
- February 19th 2010 Voluntarily touched up by a toothless Tunisian
by Words: 1050 Photos: 14
- June 19th 2009 Un casamiento de Longchamps a Túnez
by Words: 353 Photos: 27
- June 18th 2009 Our's beautiful summer holiday in Tunisia
by Words: 230 Photos: 6