Island Conservation and Sustainable Enterprise


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
August 8th 2010
Published: August 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Holy Zanzibar...I'm in love!
We traveled to the east coast and visited a sustainable seaweed farm. The women grow seaweed and sell it for use in a great variety of products like soaps and ice cream. Where they do this is without doubt the most amazingly beautiful beach I have ever seen. Again, with the no words or picture could possibly do it justice. The blue of the water...the softness of the sand...and you can wade out at least a kilometer. Amazing.
From there we had lunch at a place with tables in the sand. Cute.
Next, we went to a National Park. We took a hike through the woods and saw some monkeys. Then a second area of the park where a troop of native red colobus monkeys lives. They were basically right on top of us. Close enough to touch. So freaking cute. From there we walked through a mangrove forest which was pretty interesting to compare their forest type with the Everglades. Very similar and very pretty.
I forgot to mention one of my surprises about Zanzibar. The population is almost 100% Muslim and almost everyone is dress in what I would picture as traditional clothing. Most of the women are covered completely except for their eyes and the ones who aren't are covered except for their faces. Its interesting because Zanzibar is incredibly touristy and its quite the juxtaposition of cultures. Its nice to see that most of the tourists seem fairly mindful of this and stay relatively covered when not on the beaches.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb