Zanzibar!!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
August 7th 2010
Published: August 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

In the morning we had a couple of lectures on water pollution and some marine mammal stuff. The most interesting thing I learned was about the coelocanth. It was thought to be extinct since the 1930s, but it was recently rediscovered. 3 or 4 have been seen in the wild and they are just now getting population studies done. Pretty cool.
After that, we had a few hours of free time- shopping! I bought lots of stuff...3 amazing paintings, scarves, lots of spices, Christmas ornaments, masks to hang...that might be it, but I feel like I'm forgetting some stuff. Oh ya! and an amazingly beautiful photo album with wood carved elephants on the front. For dinner, we went to Mercury's. It's owned by Kiss's lead singer Fred Mercury and is now run by his family. Cool place, awesome atmosphere and right on the beach. From there we got a big group together and went to a shisha (hookah) lounge. We had so much fun! There were about 15 of us and we got 2 hookahs. It was very relaxing and very cultural. Everyone enjoyed themselves plus it was really cheap (only 5000 TSH, which is about $3). We were there for 2-3 hours. From there some of us went to a slightly sketchy local's bar. It was okay once we got in. I felt like a true rastafarian, haha.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.054s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb