Stone Town


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
September 27th 2005
Published: October 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After a reasonably calm crossing we arrived on the island of Zanzibar in a torrential rain shower, that’s tropical Africa for you!
We were bussed to the Karibu (Swahili for Welcome) Inn Hotel in the centre of Stone Town. We had only a few minutes to put our bags in the room and get downstairs ready for our Spice Tour; it is the “Spice Island“ after all!
The first part of the spice tour was, well, different (for different see rubbish)! The second part of the tour was a visit to a fruit plantation was we saw among others, bananas, vanilla, coconuts, Jack fruit, lemon grass and cinnamon. We were even shown an organic lipstick used by ladies in Africa and India; the young lad helping out on the tour kindly showed us how to wear it! Tour over and we are taken to sample some local fruits, Charmaine thought it was all lovely and Darren really enjoyed the drop toilets that he had to sprint to due to a touch of Delhi Belly.
The rest of the day was spent first having “sundowners” (cocktails and watching the sunset) at the very plush Africa House Hotel and then having a wonderful meal at the cool Sweet Easy Thai restaurant. With full bellies we finished our first day in Zanzibar.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb