Arusha to Dar Es Salaam


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
September 25th 2005
Published: October 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Up at 5am! I used to get paid for getting up this early, NOT paying to be up this early! The 12 hour truck journey to Dar Es Salaam warranted this early rise and it was nice to see the sunrise over the gorgeous dryness of Northern Tanzania.
Once fed and watered we were on our way. Again, the roads were rough but the sites were amazing. Everyone was like a caged animal, pee stops were a welcome relief for this beast of a journey. Luckily, Darren had covertly slipped Charlie a CD compilation and for a few hours we were all happily attempting to outsing one another with Fergal Sharkey, The Proclaimers and other similar international hits of the early nineties!!
A few more pee, lunch photo stops later we saw Mount Kilimanjaro (“The Roof of Africa”), amazingly clearly and not covered in cloud which is usually the case. A quick photo and we were on our way again.
We arrive at Dar es Salaam, mmm, we thought Nairobi was rough! Anyone seen Black Hawk Down? Nuff said! We have to cross the bay on a small car ferry to get to our campsite, unfortunately, where we wait for the ferry is the fish market and what we finally decided smelt like a tannery. In the heat of the day the smell was bordering on unbearable. We finally crossed the bay out of the main city and to our accommodation, the Kimuka beach campsite. It was already dusk when we arrived so we quickly put our tents up and headed for the bar for some of their infamous Slushy vodkas! We all then started on the buckets of slushy, yes buckets! This went down lovely apart from freezing half your head in the process with the rest of the group screaming “skull, skull, skull...”).
Many more slushies were quaffed and some skinny dipping was had by some of the group. The rest of us went to bed early(ish) in order to be bright and cheery for the possibly rough 2 hour ferry crossing in the morning to Zanzibar.

Advertisement



18th October 2005

Dar es Salaam
Visited Dar es Salaam in 2001. Our digital camera lost many photos from the city, however we were lucky to have many of our Safari. I was wondering whether you might be in a position to trade some photos of the city please? I am currently getting our adventures published and would dearly love some photos of the city itself. If you can help can you mail me anmooney@hotmail.com

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb