DAY 15 - KARUCO Ambassadors We Are! - 2010


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West
July 15th 2010
Published: January 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Just Accepted Invitation to be KARUCO AmbassadorsJust Accepted Invitation to be KARUCO AmbassadorsJust Accepted Invitation to be KARUCO Ambassadors

The ELCT Management Team minus its women following our closure meeting.
Our last day in Kayanga - lots of closures. Highlights of the day are: 1) we are now the official KARUCO Ambassadors following the ELCT Management Team meeting; 2) Saying goodbye to many friends; 3) being taken to an economic development team.

NARRATIVE: The morning was active with a marriage seminar at the hotel and conference center. Steve and I were told that we would have a Management Team meeting for the ELCT during the morning and it started at 10:30. Bishop, General Secretary, Brighton, Pastor Emmanuel, Pastor Oscar, George the Treasurer, and Sam joined Steve and me at the meeting. After the proper hellos and prayer, we debriefed about all we had seen and the persons we met. Needs were synthesized and corroborated by the team. We were asked if we would be interested in serving as ambassadors for the university, and therefore focusing on KARUCO at the meeting. We said 'yes' and were eager to share ideas. Lots of analyses could be made here but suffice it to say that prevailing needs of the community are to 1) stem the exodus of Karagwe's youth to urban areas in search of opportunity; and 2) provide opportunity for youth to develop talents and skills and not simply default into early marriage (average age 18). Additional needs relate to the 93% of Karagwe residents who are subsitence farmers and need 3) exposure to improved farming methods and tools and 4) entrapreneurial ways to approach agri-business; needs of the families who fight medical conditions and could use 5) services beyond what the current health facilities can provide; the chronic need for 6) clean, accessible water; and the overarching need to build 7) economic capacity. KARUCO could easily be the hub to deliver and expand these things.

After the meeting we shared gifts and were honored to receive a family carving and shirts from the 100 Year Jubilee. We shared lunch with the Management Team and spirits were high. Naturally lots of packing had to be done in the afternoon. We took one last walk around Kayanga and when we returned we were greeted by Rebecca and her two children. All dressed up and waiting by the water tank. Rebecca was in her yellow dress and her angel pin. She gave us two shirts she had made for us. We took photos, chatted about the children's schooling and said our 'good-byes'. George the Treasurer came and gave us our bill for transport. He and Steve negotiated and settled on a bill for $400. which was reasonable. When I gave George a gift for his wife he held his head in his hands and said "For my wife?". He was so touched that I teared up. It was visitor upon visitor and that was a good way to say good-bye to Kayanga. Pastor Oscar said that he was so happy to get a gift that instead of going to the office he was going to go home to show his wife. Sophia Bonaphage, my friend from Bweranyange from 2008 came to visit - 2 days drive from Moshi! It was great to catch up on her life - now studying theology at Moshi. I gave her a small "Jesus" pin and she liked that.

Just as we were headed to supper, George Chobya came to the hotel and insisted we drive to his office to meet his director. He said he had permission from Edina to hold supper for us. We got in George's car but it would not start and was out of gas. George's son-in-law came shortly thereafter and picked
Edina II & GenegevaEdina II & GenegevaEdina II & Genegeva

Mainstays of the hotel
us up. We entered George's office and five men stared at us (politely) and greeted us. We were brought into a small office and listened to how the micro-finance operation worked in Kayanga dotted with names like Fairtrade and Bill Gates. Steve adjusted into business mode, listened, asked a few questions, exchanged business cards and provided closure. George brought us back to the hotel.

Our 'last' dinner at the hotel was Mexican that Edina knows we like. It was cold since we were late. We felt bad and hoped we didn't hurt Edina and the staff's feelings by going with George just before supper. All packed, we took one last shower, paid Edina our hotel bill, gave gifts and said goodnight. As I took a photo of Steve sleeping on the bed under the mosquito net, the camera said "Memory Card Full".

In the last month we have been on 3 continents and will host a family from a fourth. Last night in Africa. Nighty night.

******************

Take me to the Educate Tanzania website.

http://educatetanzania.org


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Proud Mama RebeccaProud Mama Rebecca
Proud Mama Rebecca

Twins - a boy and a girl
Headmistress Headmistress
Headmistress

Bweranyange Girls Secondary School


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb