Tanzania!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » South » Songea
May 2nd 2010
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

LionessLionessLioness

My fav shot! :)
Tanzania!

So I have made my way down to Tanzania from Kenya on a little bus! The road to get here was bumpy and merciless. When we reached the border, we had to get out of the bus and walk a 100 meters to the border patrol. Along the 100 meters were hundreds of scammers swarming all of us and trying to sell us fake goods. Be aware fellow travelers!

Although Tanzania and Kenya have a very similar culture, Tanzania gave me a different vibe. The locals aren’t as friendly to travelers as Kenya. But don’t get me wrong, they’re still quite friendly. I probably just bumped into some individuals who gave me a different impression about the culture. Someone randomly yelled out “F*ck you, Jackie Chan!” when I didn’t take a look at his shop. That was a pretty scary experience, haha, so I decided not to go out of my hostel past 6 pm just to be extra safe. However, I did meet some nice locals so it’s not fair to have a bad impression of the Tanzanians just because of that one rude individual. Maybe he just really doesn’t like Jackie Chan’s movie, and I can relate with that because he’s been making terrible movies lately, haha…

The most exciting part of Tanzania was that my dad flew all the way over here to see me! We started our adventure together by going on a spectacular 3 day safari. We lived in these beautiful tents that had beds and bathrooms inside of them. Right in front of our tents were monkeys and baboons playing around. The safari was really exciting because we were roaming around in one of the biggest National Parks in the world. I feel ashamed to say it, but I forgot what the name of it was called, hehe. With nature and animals surrounding us, it infused me with a sense of peace. This is what life used to be like for our ancestors. I can understand why they were so much more spiritual than our people today. They listened and experienced the full beauty of nature. Their wisdom came from paying attention to nature. We barely have time for nature in this fast-paced world of ours!

This is where it all happened: The origin of life. The oldest human fossil was discovered in Tanzania which proves that human beings started
zippidy doo dazippidy doo dazippidy doo da

dad playing with bird
their journey here. It’s a beautiful place to start and we’ve come a long way from that spot. However, there are a group of people who haven’t separated themselves too far and they are a tribe called the “Masai tribes.” They live an extremely simple life and keep their traditions very rich. We visited their village to understand them more. They were very protective of their village so they didn’t give us too many smiles. This is understandable since they don’t want their village to be hugely influenced by the ‘civilized’ world. But, of course, once we started showing them magic tricks, they broke out in excitement! Haha, the older men were giggling like little girls when we made a rock disappear and reappear again. They did a traditional tribal dance and sang for us. They told us experiences about how they were forced to kill lions with their spears to protect their village. It completely opened up my eyes to see this way of life still exists in the world. They have no material desire and they only want to be around nature and their family. Traditions and community are two very important aspects to their way of life. Meeting these incredible people have taught me a lesson: No matter how bad things can get, as long as you keep nature and family close to you, life can be beautiful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

PumbaPumba
Pumba

oh, when i was a young warthog~
protectionprotection
protection

the little baby is in the middle when they travel so it's protected. That baby elephant is suposedly 5 days old
leopard!leopard!
leopard!

so lucky to see a leopard!
yellow birdyellow bird
yellow bird

It's making a nest out of grass
Pride RockPride Rock
Pride Rock

This was where simba was born...
Scary moment!Scary moment!
Scary moment!

This rogue elephant started to charge at us. SO SCARY, you have no idea.
Tree lion!Tree lion!
Tree lion!

We were lucky to see this! Not many lions climb trees in the world.
pounce!pounce!
pounce!

Our driver got so close to her that she could've pounce as us at any time!
monkeymonkey
monkey

Heard of the term "Blue balls?"
hot air balloonhot air balloon
hot air balloon

We went on a hot air balloon safari! We got to see thousands of wildebeest migrating. I have it on video somewhere...


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb