Friday Sept 28th dala-dala ride


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Usa River
September 28th 2007
Published: September 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today I had my first dala-dala ride. The dala-dala is large mini van with over 20 tiny seats in it. It pulls over on the side of the road, you pay a sort of conductor who rides on the side of it, and either find a seat or squeeze in, and I mean squeeze in. You tell the conductor where you want to get off and they make your stop. I feel very accomplished having done this. Of course Tom was with me but I still feel I passed a hurdle of being here and using the transportation system. We walked down the road to Usa River today after lunch, and I am getting used to cars, trucks, buses and dala-dalas being on the "wrong-side of the road" although it is a little scary crossing the busy road and making sure we look the right way before stepping out. We went into this little restaurant and store area called Rotterdam Garden (must be a remnant from when the Europeans were here) and I know we can survive without going into Arusha now. Sitting outside on this little deck enjoying a chocolate covered ice cream bar was heaven. We are also told they have a great buffet on Saturday and Sunday from 11-8 which we are going to try this weekend. Maybe we will have some of the meat dishes as we have only eaten vegetarian since being here. We hope to go to the Anglican Church here in Arusha on Sunday and they have a service in English.
We have no new news regarding Tom's mom. We are so thankful to have internet so we can keep in touch with family; although electricity and internet frequently go down here. Am thinking of the fall colors and cooler weather at home. Although here there are these beautfiul jakarunda trees that are very tall and right now have beautiful lavender flowers similar to a catalpa tree. Their pods are also very similar although are flat and round rather than flat and bean pod shaped. I love trees and enjoy walks seeing all of the flora.
Next door to the ADRA compound is a place called "Danish." It was a Danish couple who years ago started a school to teach Swahili for non-Swahili speakers who are going to work here. I so much enjoy walking the small roads through their compound as it very quiet, peaceful and has many beautiful plantings. Wishing you all a wonderful fall weekend.
Anne

Advertisement



29th September 2007

Always here for you
Enjoyed reading your blogs. Always interesting to see things through others eyes and feelings. Be assured that we are here for you. If you are feeling overwhelmed, sad, homesick--come and have a chat. It took me YEARS to get used to living overseas. Sometimes I still get fed up with it all and feel far away from where I grew up. Davona

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb